Dual Monitors Cons?

yp49

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi, I am thinking about setting up dual monitors on my MSI 5770. Are there any cons I should be aware of before buying a new monitor? Does it slow down gaming? Does having a larger display use more CPU and RAM? How does the dual monitors actually work.. will my mouse scroll across the other screen when I am playing a game like starcraft 2? Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks.

Solution
an honest question is fine

the only real con which i'm not even sure would apply to your 5xxx series card but i know at least with the 4xx series with dual monitors your memory will idle higher, and therefore you'll have more heat at idle.

cpu and ram aren't really effected at all, maybe to a very small degree,

in extended desktop mode, you're mouse will seamlessly move from one monitor to another, which is kinda weird for me because my other monitor is my tv and isn't close to my main monitor. But in games you won't have to worry about your mouse disappearing most games will lock it to the on monitor, SC2 included( i know from playing with dual monitors)

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
an honest question is fine

the only real con which i'm not even sure would apply to your 5xxx series card but i know at least with the 4xx series with dual monitors your memory will idle higher, and therefore you'll have more heat at idle.

cpu and ram aren't really effected at all, maybe to a very small degree,

in extended desktop mode, you're mouse will seamlessly move from one monitor to another, which is kinda weird for me because my other monitor is my tv and isn't close to my main monitor. But in games you won't have to worry about your mouse disappearing most games will lock it to the on monitor, SC2 included( i know from playing with dual monitors)

Solution

welshmousepk

Distinguished
I use a dual monitor setup (mainly cause i have another lying around), and its pretty much standard.

when gaming, the mouse gets locked into the monitor its on. you can still see whats going on on the other screen ( i have firefox and itunes on it usually), but to actually interact you need to alt+tab or minimize the gaming window.