Dual Monitors - Do I need a Graphics Card?

MichaelMFLC92

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Video oputputs on my motherboard are VGA, DVI and HDMI. I use VGA for my monitor.

I want to run dual monitors, just for the extra space, so do I need a graphics card? What's the best way of doing it? Using the same connection for both monitors, as in both VGA or both DVI?

I don't really understand graphics cards at all so any help would be great. What am I looking for in a graphics card?

Would something like this be okay?
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagt610series/gt610-sl-1gd3-l.html

Solution
they are all essentially the same, and the same as the one you linked to. the GT610 is the model number, it is the slowest and cheapest in nvidias range, but more than fine for running windows, not for gaming though.

Just make sure that your card has outputs that match your monitors inputs.

MichaelMFLC92

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I thought £40 for a graphics card was relatively cheap. What am I looking for in one? All I know is 1GB, 2GB etc. And sometimes a 1GB one is more expensive than a 2GB one.

Okay, with my Samsung TV plugged into PC with VGA cable, Ive added a Technika TV with a HDMI cable.
The Samsung TV switches itself to be the second monitor and the Technika TV just says no signal.

Would this indicate a problem with the Technica TV in that it can't be a PC monitor or the PC in that it isn't able to output two singnals from the motherboard?

MichaelMFLC92

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
When using the samsung TV with HDMI rather than VGA, the picture quality is lacking somewhat and all four edges are missing. This is strange as this very TV works fine with VGA.

Sorry if I'm missing something blindingly obvious.

they are all essentially the same, and the same as the one you linked to. the GT610 is the model number, it is the slowest and cheapest in nvidias range, but more than fine for running windows, not for gaming though.

Just make sure that your card has outputs that match your monitors inputs.

Solution