[SOLVED] Dual monitors on Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro with HDMI + DisplayPort – old monitors

May 19, 2021
Hello,
I am having a custom system built. I have selected:
– Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
– AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G
– I do not want to buy a discrete graphics adapter.

Only when the system was built, did we notice that this motherboard has only one HDMI port. Which makes it impossible to connect my two monitors. The cheapest solution that we could think of is to replace the motherboard. I've found out that the Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro (which is pretty similar to the Aorus) has two outputs: an HDMI and a DisplayPort.

But earlier today the computer shop guy phoned me and said he'd read something about problems connecting the second monitor, if the monitors are old, to such a setup of 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort. I could not find anything online about such a problem. He wasn't absolutely sure either. They've agreed to keep the Aorus Elite and sell it to someone else so that I can order the Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro. But if that won't support my two monitors, I will nevertheless have to pay for it.

My monitors are EIZO FlexScan S1921 and S1931, both have DVI inputs. Quite old, indeed, but I love them.

My current and rather old system has a discreet graphics adapter so I have plugged the monitors to the DVI and HDMI outputs it has.

The big question is then, will I be able to connect my monitors to the Asus motherboard's HDMI and DisplayPort. The computer shop guy wasn't sure about the DisplayPort to DVI in the case of old monitors.

Solution
Thank you.
I actually mentioned the wrong new motherboard – won't be this one, as it's a lot more expensive than the Aorus, but it's still going to be an X570 – or maybe I'll go back to an X470 – as long as it has two outputs, one HDMI and one DisplayPort.
Once you decide, just make sure the CPU is on the compatible CPU list for the motherboard and you should be okay.
May 19, 2021
The second motherboard should be fine to drive two displays. Just use quality HDMI to DVI, and DP to DVI adapters and you should be fine.

I don't share your computer guy's concerns.

Thank you.
I actually mentioned the wrong new motherboard – won't be this one, as it's a lot more expensive than the Aorus, but it's still going to be an X570 – or maybe I'll go back to an X470 – as long as it has two outputs, one HDMI and one DisplayPort.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thank you.
Once you decide, just make sure the CPU is on the compatible CPU list for the motherboard and you should be okay.

Reactions: dalai.lamia
Solution
May 19, 2021
Follow-up: I bought the B550 Aorus Elite, which has HDMI and DisplayPort outputs. Both monitors connected, working at expected :)

The only thing I find strange is that I now see the taskbar and the Windows Start button on both screens. This wasn't the case in Windows 7. But I guess I'll get used to this quickly.

TRENDING THREADS