dual monitors problem .. sucks!

Oct 25, 2018
Hi
So, I got my hands on two 32" tv screens.
My laptop is an HP Pavillion, 12GB ram with a Nvidia geforce 940m, windows 10
the laptop has only one hdmi output (no dvi or vga output)
so I purchased a two hdmi adapter (1 hdmi to 2 hdmi )
But for some reason..both monitors act as one monitor, the second monitor isn't being detected
unfortunately upgrading the laptop isn't an option
Anything to do? I have read about the USB 3.0 Port Replicator Docking Station, eGPU (not sure if egpu will work on my laptop)
but I don't wanna spend over 150usd without getting results
Help ?

Solution
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Universal-Docking-Station-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1540519434&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=usb+3+port+replicator&psc=1
example only , first example google gave me, shop around

devices like this will work as they have a GPU built in. do not expect gaming, but this is an active device, it will have other devices inside as well. USB hub, ethernet, etc.
what this will do basically is turn the monitors into USB devices. USB monitors will have the same chips inside that allows this work.
Oct 25, 2018

Currently this is the adapter I have
26971-%D7%9E%D7%A4%D7%A6%D7%9C-HDMI-V1-4-%D7%A2%D7%9C-%D7%9B%D7%91%D7%9C-%D7%9C-2-%D7%9E%D7%A1%D7%9B%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%91%D7%95-%D7%96%D7%9E%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%AA-lg2.jpg

I want the two external monitors to be always in extended mode with the laptop lid closed (which I managed to do)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I do not think that can work like that. HDMI does not carry enough data for two screens, the splitter has no way to determine what goes to which screen so the screens are copied. duplication. whatever display 1 shows, display 2 will show exactly. computer only sees one display because it has one port.

you would need an active device that has a cpu in it to determine when to show the mouse on screen 1 not screen 2. something to filter and separate the two display signals from the one source, a splitter or any other multiple port cable/adapter is just a screen duplication tool

Oct 25, 2018

Thank you for quick reply.
So you're saying that the USB 3.0 Port Replicator Docking Station or the HDMI switch would work ?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Universal-Docking-Station-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1540519434&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=usb+3+port+replicator&psc=1
example only , first example google gave me, shop around

devices like this will work as they have a GPU built in. do not expect gaming, but this is an active device, it will have other devices inside as well. USB hub, ethernet, etc.
what this will do basically is turn the monitors into USB devices. USB monitors will have the same chips inside that allows this work.

Solution
Oct 25, 2018

Yeah I did saw this item.
Anyway, Thank you so much.
will connecting one monitor to the laptop's hdmi port, and the second monitor into a usb 3.0 to hdmi adapter work ?
something like this:
5384981_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in theory. I cannot speak first hand.
the laptop screen is hardwired into the GPU so that port is always taken - port 1, the HDMI will be screen 2, and USB handles screen 3.

game or watch movies on 1 or 2, 3 will be a bit slower.

Oct 25, 2018

Ok, hope this will work
Thank you much again, for helping and your fasting replying !