dual monitors & projector

jcar

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
My church is about to start using a program called mediashout (mediashout.com). To take full advantage of the program's features, dual monitors are needed. In addition to dual monitors, we also need the display to show up on a projector screen. The projector has dvi, s-video, and composite inputs. The two monitors I am looking at are sony sdm/s53 LCDs. Will a radeon 9600 pro with a dvi to vga adapter with the projector connected to the tv out work? Is there a better solution? Any replies are appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds to me like you need 2 cards in your system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Excuse me for my thoughtlessness, Matrox offers cards with 3 DVI outputs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Actually that would be 4 DVIs or 2DVIs (some of those 2DVI can be made into 1 DVI plus 2VGA/DB15, 3 monitors but only 1 DVI). I haven't seen a 3 DVI. The 4 DVI MMS cards are EXPENSIVE.

<b>jcar</b>, Matrox would be the most versatile and most capable option, but you might be able to do just fine with the low end of ATI and nV. If you're just sshowing basic 2D and R9200(se eve) or R9600SE should be enough, and so should and FX5200SE. As long as they come with the appropriate connectors.

However if you already have an R9600, it should work fine. I'm not sure about running all three outputs on the card at the same time. You may need to add a PCI card (any one) if using the TV out disables one of the other outs (not sure).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

jcar

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
Sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but the projector will just need to display what is on one of the monitors. I have heard conflicting stories on whether or not the tv out disables one of the other outputs. If this is the case, can I use a radeon (9200 or 9600) with a vga y splitter connected to the vga output (one cable going to the 1st monitor and one going to the projector)and a dvi to vga adapter on the dvi output going to the second monitor. The two sony monitors have 15-pin d-sub inputs. I will be displaying some video and basic 2D stuff.

Yeah for duplicating the output a splitter would be good enough, just make sure if it's over a long disatnce it has enough signal strength.

<b>yotoledano</b>, yeah I would think so, but I'm not sure if the TV output gets disabled with both the DVI and DB-15 working. I thought there was some kind of RAMDAC restriction on that (like the TV and VGA share the same ramdac) but I haven't had time to investigate yet. Sharing the RAMDAC would limit independant screens, but should allow mirroring in theory, just not sure about it.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
From what I can understand, your 9600 will NOT work with those monitors. <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon9600/radeon9600manuals.html?type=pc&cardType=PC+GRAPHICS&prod=PCproducts&submit.x=10&submit.y=7" target="_new">Page 11 of the second PDF</A>. Since both monitors are analog, it will not work. If you can run one digitally or get two LCDs that can run in either digital or analog inputs, that would be your best option and the limitation of the driver (only because you want to clone one of the displays).

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.