Dual monitors w/incorrect Hz

irvall

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Hi, folks
I own a 24" BenQ XL2430T (1080p) and a 27" Shimian (1440p), where the BenQ works as my "main". Previously, they were both up and running just fine on my former GTX 560 from Nvidia (2012 model). Today I decided to upgrade my GPU to an AMD R9 280x which seemingly works perfect so far, but I got issues setting up my old dual monitor setup.
If I put my BenQ in the 'top' DVI slot and the Shimian in the 'bottom' slot, I can get fully functional 144hz signal to the BenQ and NO working signal on the Shimian. If I switch these cords, I can get 60hz/1080p (note: NOT 144hz) signal on my BenQ and fully working (60hz) signal on the Shimian.
I've tried to mess around in Catalyst with no help so far. Any idea how to fix this?
Sincerely yours truly

Solution
One of the DVI ports is dual-link and supports both the resolution of the Shimian and the extra frequency of the BenQ. The other is only single-link and supports neither of those features.
You can fix the problem by connecting the BenQ with DisplayPort and use the Dual-link DVI for the Shimian.
One of the DVI ports is dual-link and supports both the resolution of the Shimian and the extra frequency of the BenQ. The other is only single-link and supports neither of those features.
You can fix the problem by connecting the BenQ with DisplayPort and use the Dual-link DVI for the Shimian.

Solution

irvall

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015

This makes very good sense. Had a similar idea about the issue, but couldn't quite put it into meaningful words. Thank you - will look at some cable investment.