[SOLVED] Dual network connections to work together?

SlowRs

Reputable
Jun 20, 2016
So I live pretty damn rural and internet has always been a pain for me.

Recently I have gotten "line of sight" wireless broadband which gives me 30mb down and 10mb up with 35 ping BUT it jitters and drops some packets which sucks in certain games (bf5 and fifa mainly) where I rubberband or just feels like huge fps drops with it skipping.

I also have a standard phone line which gives me 1.3mb down and 0.3mb up with 45ish ping which is 100% stable and never moves or drops packets. Its just so damn slow.

I have seen people with dual ethernet ports on their pc's these days and wondered if I am able to connect to both networks at once to get a more stable internet for games but while keeping the speed? I have seen something called network banding I think which sounds kind of what I want but they talk about things like a 1gb data cap.

As it stands I have to manually swap the cables out in the back of my pc for when I am playing games and then back for other things.

Solution
Gotcha.

Does the landline have a passthrough mode where the multi-wan router will become the main router and gateway?

Does the wireless simply issue a public IP to whatever device is plugged into it or is it a router as well?

Depending on the answers to these, we'll see what can be done.

You can possibly keep both routers, and it will have only one connection to your pc, but you want to avoid double nat since you are using this for gaming which will want to open ports. Unless everything is over port 80, which shouldn't be affected by double nat. (In fact, I've never seen an instance where double nat is really a problem except with servers that expect incoming traffic--those configurations get a bit hairy then.)
I've been running dual (and even triple) internet connections for 10 years now, so I should be able to help you.

It depends on what you want to do--if you only want one pc to have access to both, then 2 ethernet cards and pretty much manually doing it the way you do are (but can be done in software too) is the way to do it as it's simple and cheap.

Otherwise, you can purchase a dual or multi-wan router and can specify that when you game, you use dsl and otherwise use the other connection for everything else. And this would work on your entire network and without any configuration. The other benefit is that if one of the lines goes down you can set the router to automatically 'failover'. Plus, with this method, your pcs, et al, have the simple normal 1 ip address like they want.

So what would you like to do?

SlowRs

Reputable
Jun 20, 2016
I would say the extra router but not too sure how my current networks would like it. My landline is easy and I can plug in any router but my wireless cannot be changed, I do not even have access to the settings within it.

Would I keep the current 2 routers which then feed into a new router which then sends the data onwards via 1 ethernet cable to my pc?

Gotcha.

Does the landline have a passthrough mode where the multi-wan router will become the main router and gateway?

Does the wireless simply issue a public IP to whatever device is plugged into it or is it a router as well?

Depending on the answers to these, we'll see what can be done.

You can possibly keep both routers, and it will have only one connection to your pc, but you want to avoid double nat since you are using this for gaming which will want to open ports. Unless everything is over port 80, which shouldn't be affected by double nat. (In fact, I've never seen an instance where double nat is really a problem except with servers that expect incoming traffic--those configurations get a bit hairy then.)

Solution