Dual Nvidia graphics cards with Ryzen 3 1200? (one for gaming, one for cryptomining).

carsonschraer

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
I recently built a computer with a Asrock AB350 Pro4, Ryzen 3 1200, a GTX 1060 3 GB, 8 GB DDR4, 256GB m.2 ssd, and a EVGA 500B PSU.

I would like to get into cryptomining by adding a GTX 1070 8GB, but I am worried it wont work well in my pc. My plan is to have the 1060 for regular use/gaming, and use the 1070 for cryptomining. Will both cards work to capacity or will my CPU bottleneck both?

Solution
You'll need a better PSU to handle both cards. As power use is high in cryptomining you should get a good 80+ Gold unit or Platinum preferably in the 750w to 850w range. Those extra few percent in efficiency make a noticeable difference in electricity cost and will pay the extra cost over a bronze unit in the next few months. PSUs are even more energy efficient below 70% load.

I'd buy a Tier 1 unit in the list for the highest reliability and build quality.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

As for CPU usage. As far as cryptomining is concerned you could probably feed that GTX 1070 with an old 486 with no bottlenecks. Everything is done in the GPU. It shouldn't add much of anything to your CPU usage...
You'll need a better PSU to handle both cards. As power use is high in cryptomining you should get a good 80+ Gold unit or Platinum preferably in the 750w to 850w range. Those extra few percent in efficiency make a noticeable difference in electricity cost and will pay the extra cost over a bronze unit in the next few months. PSUs are even more energy efficient below 70% load.

I'd buy a Tier 1 unit in the list for the highest reliability and build quality.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

As for CPU usage. As far as cryptomining is concerned you could probably feed that GTX 1070 with an old 486 with no bottlenecks. Everything is done in the GPU. It shouldn't add much of anything to your CPU usage or effect gaming.

As for whether or not you'll get your money back. Who knows. Work units are far tougher now and Ethereum is likely going to make the move from GPUs.

Solution
There is no way of knowing if they will switch from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake or some hybrid system. Whenever they get it ready for the switch. Based on what I have read the end of 2017 was a goal but now it may be pushed back until mid 2018. Until then difficulty will keep increasing, reducing profitability.

When the switch is made you will have to start mining another coin. Which will also go up in difficulty, reducing profitability. Since many others will switch. Others will give up.

You can also just invest in various altcoins. Say put up $500 dispersed among those trading under 10 cents. If one goes up to a few dollars in value you'll have made a good profit. You know someone spent $50 on bitcoins at 7 cents and is dancing a jig now. Not much difference than investing in penny stocks. It's a better bet than playing the lottery.

I suppose buying the GTX 1070 and mining is a safer bet. Since you can at least offset the cost of the card some before the viability goes away completely.

TRENDING THREADS