Dual PC Streaming Setup Advice (2700x / RTX 2070)

Nov 6, 2018
I'm looking to upgrade my current gaming / streaming setup and am on the fence about going for a single or dual PC setup. My current rig has got pretty good specs (GTX 1080, i7 7700k, 16GB RAM) but I do notice a considerable drop in performance when I use it to play and stream simultaneously. As I'm putting together a second system for my girlfriend anyways, I figured I could just use it as a dedicated streaming PC too but am unsure if it's the best decision.

What would be the best choice? Should I just pass on my current rig and build a r7 2700x + RTX 2070 PC for both gaming and streaming, or would that still affect performance a lot? Or should I go for a dual PC setup (likely with NDI to connect them) where I put, say, an r7 2700x + GTX 1080ti in the gaming PC and then rely on my current (GTX 1080, i7 7700k) one for the encoding and streaming? I'm asking in part because I've heard that the RTX 20xx series is pretty great for streaming purposes so I might not even want to go for a dual setup.

Any suggestions or builds (dual / single PC for streaming) are welcome. Thanks!

Solution
Games are starting to use 8 cores and all of the 16 threads. I first started to see this on Doom and now Black OPS 4 loads all 16 threads of my Ryzen 1700 at 50-70%. If expect longevity out of your system and you're going to stream and game on the same machine via triple A titles, my advise would be to invest into a processor that has more than 8 cores & 16 threads. If you are gaming and streaming less demanding games like ESports titles then a R7 2700x will do the job. If I were in your shoes, i'd test the load on your girlfriends PC to get a starting point and start with those benchmarks. You can also watch YouTube videos of said games streaming at the same time on respective hardware. I'd start with what you have first, gain as...
Games are starting to use 8 cores and all of the 16 threads. I first started to see this on Doom and now Black OPS 4 loads all 16 threads of my Ryzen 1700 at 50-70%. If expect longevity out of your system and you're going to stream and game on the same machine via triple A titles, my advise would be to invest into a processor that has more than 8 cores & 16 threads. If you are gaming and streaming less demanding games like ESports titles then a R7 2700x will do the job. If I were in your shoes, i'd test the load on your girlfriends PC to get a starting point and start with those benchmarks. You can also watch YouTube videos of said games streaming at the same time on respective hardware. I'd start with what you have first, gain as much info as you can to make an informed decision.

Solution