Dual PCI-Express card setups

I've seen ads for mobos that can take two PCI-Express 16x lane video
cards. Are these cards cooperating or is this a way to drive two
monitors on trully separate cards? What is teh advantage?

no one wrote:

> I've seen ads for mobos that can take two PCI-Express 16x lane video
> cards. Are these cards cooperating or is this a way to drive two
> monitors on trully separate cards? What is teh advantage?

First off, if you dig you'll find that those boards are actually giving you
two x8 ports with x16 connectors, and second, google "SLI" and you'll find
a great deal of discussion of this. In principle they're providing
acceleration. In practice I'm of the opinion that they're providing bucks
for nvidia.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:50:57 GMT, no one <noone@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've seen ads for mobos that can take two PCI-Express 16x lane video
>cards. Are these cards cooperating or is this a way to drive two
>monitors on trully separate cards? What is teh advantage?

Do a Google for SLi and read up on it. The two cards are actually
working together to construct the graphics although the monitor is
only connected to one of the cards, I do not know if dual output is
still possible whilst running in SLi. The Google search will turn up
plenty of good explanations of how it all works

The two PCI-Express cards have the ability to electrically combine and
function as One VERY FAST video card.

--
DaveW