Dual PCI slot gpu in single slot motherboards

Nov 23, 2018
I'm assembling a new PC, and I've already ordered my motherboard. But then I encountered a problem, all gtx 1060 cards are dual slot, while my motherboard has only 1. after some research on the internet I was pretty confused about this, I heard a lot about the slots a gpu takes up, just means the physical space it takes up. Can I get a clear answer on this?

Solution
all GPU's use a single physical PCIe slot on the motherboard.

What they mean when they say more than single slot or more than dual slot is the thickness of the card and how many of the empty slot holes on the back of the case it takes up. Because some cards are thick enough, and some boards have PCIe slots close enough to each other, that the card may cover up the port on the motherboard.

But it's in reference to thickness. And dual slot is the normal standard.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
all GPU's use a single physical PCIe slot on the motherboard.

What they mean when they say more than single slot or more than dual slot is the thickness of the card and how many of the empty slot holes on the back of the case it takes up. Because some cards are thick enough, and some boards have PCIe slots close enough to each other, that the card may cover up the port on the motherboard.

But it's in reference to thickness. And dual slot is the normal standard.

Solution
Nov 23, 2018
Hi,
Thank you very much for the fast response, now I can buy my gpu, I won't be using that many other PCI slots (extern wifi adapter, single gpu), so I should be fine, I was a little worried about having to buy a new motherboard or a worse gpu, and couldn't find a clear answer online, this was really helpful