dual PCIE 16X + P4 640 on dell?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unlikely, there aren't any boards with x8 slots. There are boards with x16 slots that have x8 pathways...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PCI-X is faster. 66MHz/64bit is 4x as fast as PCI, PCI-E x1 is about 2x as fast (but bi-directionally it's about 4x as fast).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i thought that I-RAM used SATA as data transfer and PCI as power

BTW check other... i will forgive you because you helped me a lot throughout my upgrade (and hope more in the future), but common pointing out specific names is not that nice....

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 08/10/05 01:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Geez, I thought PCI-X covered several standards including 66/64 and 133/64. OK, 133/64 is 8x PCI, simlar to PCI-E x4.

PCI-E x2 would only come close when both directions are at full capacity, any offset to either direction would find it lagging behind.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
o_O well i don;t really point at someone and say [insert bad thing here] i just have problems with grammer and spelling, likes to get quick responses so that i post my question in a more populated forums. This is most likely because i'm somewhat impatient, hence the speedy crappy replies with about 10 edits, also i got this habit from the d2 forums as that in there if you are slow even for one second then a trade or something is gone, and that the more people see your post either by legit reasons or by alternative names (cachy names, or outright lie) the more chances that you will achieve your goal sooner. I do realize that this isn;t the D2 forums, but someties a habit (even good) is hard to get rid of, so bare with me, and in time i will change (seeing that i will no play during school time and that now that my PC is better i could try some nice FPS, and no more trade hijacking or anything).

I hope that you understand that i'm trying to change my habit, and that i will try to put out more posts like this one in the grammatical and spelling sense, i'm sorry if my rushness have offended you, but i am mad at being pointed out and picked on, especially behind my back.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i would just like a uniform standard, as that i hate to have some special features missing on one type of standard, or having mobos that only support one type (because of size of slots or conflicting hardware or something) and that less people will become better at computer because of the complexity of choosing one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, I thought all the 64-bit slots for 66/100/133 were under that title...

Anyway, 133/64 has TWICE the bandwidth in one direction, but similar bandwidth bi-directionally.

And x4 SHOULD be replacing it, except some companies think they "need" to promote x8 instead

x4 SHOULD be used more frequently due to the number of pathways available on most chipsets.