Dual Processor Board Vs. Single Board

G

Hi,
I have a dilemma, I am in the process of building a workstation for use with just about everything the pc can do from online gaming, video editing, to computer graphics. I was wondering if a dual board is better than a single processor board. The boards that I am debating is the Asus P3V4X and the Tyan Tiger 133 (S1834). From my sources, they both support pc133, 4x agp, and piii. The cost for the Tyan board is only 30 bucks more. If you had to choose which would you choose? With a dual processor board, can you tell the difference? I will be running Windows 2k professional. With pc133 256 or ram. Is there any gain with the 2 processors?

Let me know, Serious answers only.

G

You said that you are going to be doing computer graphics, i.e. photoshop. That will definitely take advantage of dual processors when running filters. The only problem I can see with your setup is that they won't be AMD processors

pill128

Take your pill, and get some sleep.

G

So you are saying that since they are Intel Cpu's they're weak? So will the dual processor help me in all apps? or just graphics?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best performing PC OS right now is 98SE. The most stable is Win2k. Since 98SE is nearly perfect on the Intel platform, I would choose that one for all the gaming and mutimedia crap. Now, Win2k is the only current OS (besides Linux) that supports Dual Processors. 98SE would leave the onther one sitting, doing nothing. In addition, most aps run on only one processor. So most people would rather have one FAST processor than two slower processors.
That said, the only current chipset available for a PIII machine with Dual Processors, AGP4x, and standard SDRAM support is made by VIA. Intel's current dual cpu chipset supports only Rambus. And VIA chipsets seriously underperform Intel chipsets on the PIII. Stike Two against Dual.
The best motherboard available for the PIII is the Asus CUSL2-C. This motherboard offers the Intel 815E chipset (with the onboard video removed), AGP4X, supurb performance, easiest overclockability in the industry, highest stability, and is only available for single CPU's. Strike three against dual processors. My suggestion is, unless you need dual processors, go with this board, and a 700E cpu (overclocks to at least 933), or the 1GHz (same price as two 700E's, if you had the money for dual to begin with it is a good choice). The 1GHz processor will usually overclock as well.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Win 98 and Win Me do not support dual processors, so if you wanted to get the most out of it you would have to use an os which does, like Win2000 or NT4, as you have said you are running Win2k that is good, I have had a dual 266 sys since new, running NT4, and it runs great, very fast in any application, Im not sure wether you can run all games in Win2k, but if you could, and the games supported win2k then it would be very fast, I mainly do 3d graphics work with mine and rendering times are approx 35-50% faster than a single processor, my board is a Tyan and I have found them to be very good

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well the only problem with dual amd chips is that there are no platforms to support it. Or will there be any time soon. One more reason Intel rules the business market

mpjesse

Splendid
Hmm... Win2000 runs a lot faster on my Athlon 700 than my T-bird 800 oc'd to 1Ghz system (which is running Win98SE). I think in games Win98 is a good performer- but not in internet and office apps. Of couse, it depends on how much RAM you have. But both machines are equal.

-MP Jesse

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, for the love of god!!! Can you tell him where to buy Amd dual motherboard? NO.

I don't see a problem at all, the only issue is the Tyan board.

Dual ruals!

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
guys, keep your AMD vs. INTEL fights out of posts where people actually are looking for help. most of the time it just confuses the hell out of them. take to the other board, well set up a ring and everything

<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = <font color=red>IDIOT</font color=red> Outside
:wink:

G

Sorry to have started that. I will think before I type next time.

pill128

Take your pill, and get some sleep.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
tell you what. get a 1+gigahertz athlon with a good board. i recommend the asus a7v. then you'll have more cash to get an excellant video card etc.