Dual R9 295 x2's or Dual EVGA Classified ACX 2.0 980's? for 4k

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014
so i am going with 3 BenQ Xl2420z monitors so thats like 4k (i think? :/ not sure) so what would i need and which is better to help me with playing almost every game with max settings than playing with the resolution of 4k? (i don't really understand if its 4k or 5760x1080 because its 3 1920x1080 monitors)

Solution

-Lone-

Admirable

It's almost 4k, more like 3/4 of 4k, but it won't show you the true clarity of 4k of course. As I have recently being doing some testing, getting a 2nd 295x2 is not going to help that much, actually kinda lower it in some games or just stays the same for fps. Also, 4k ultra and 4k low settings is actually not a huge difference, I switched between both settings playing BF4, they look pretty much the same, except for I get like 160 fps instead of 70 fps. So I think you should just get 1x 4 monitor and play at medium to high and still get a reasonable fps with the 295x2. But to answer your question, you may need like 2x 980 for 3x 1080p monitors at max settings on all of them, I'm not sure if the 970s can do it as well as the 980s.

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014
i also asked a some guys at another website and they told me 2 gtx 980's would be a waste of money? and even the r9 295 x2 i was really planning to get two of the 980's but some people told me that its better to get 2 970's i have no idea why so can you please help me here i am confused i don't really know if i should get 2x GTX 980's or 970's

-Lone-

Admirable

Well, if 50+ fps for nearly everything is satisfactory for you in a triple monitor set up, then you can save $400 by going with 970s instead of 980s. The 980s are only like 10-15% better in performance than the 970 anyways, so I'd just say get the 970s. Also if you can get the evga supernova 850w G2, you can OC those 970s enough until they're just as good as the 980s or better. Then you'll probably get 60+ or 70+ fps instead of the 50+ according to this thread, just read the best answer. Although I wouldn't say AMD is blown away...lol, but basically AMD is for higher resolutions and Nvidia is for lower resolutions like 1080p or 1440p. Since you're doing triple 1080p, those 970s will be your best choice, if you need recommendations for 970s, I'll find some.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2365213/gtx-970-sli-triple-monitor-gaming.html

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014

i have done research about the gtx 970 and they said the best is the MSI gaming 4g one? i am not so sure about that but would it be better if i go with 980 and overclock it or something? i am also pretty new to overclocking so i may ask something about it in the future

JakeAlmighty

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

I mean yes, the 980 is better. If you're only gaming in 1080p though (on 3 screen eyefinity, so roughly 3/4 of a 4k screen as Lone mentioned) the 970s will do just fine. The 980s would be overkill.

... but sometimes you just want to overkill stuff :) Totally your call - it's your money.

-Lone-

Admirable
MSI is pretty good, one of the best of course, but "best" is more of a preference when choosing GPUs, to me best is when you have heard of the company yourself like it is well known. Then look and research about their customer service and see if they're good, they can have the highest clock GPU out there but if it doesn't have a reasonable warranty period and doesn't have good reputation for customer service, you'll be all left alone when you need help from them. So it really depends on those kind of things when you are choosing GPUs rather than just choosing the one that has the best stats. But anyways, MSI's Twin Frozr is suppose to have some pretty high clocks with really good cooling, Gigabyte is also great with high clocks and keep it's cool. So if you were going for the 970s or 980s, those two would be your best choice.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970g1gaming4gd

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g

But I can't exactly answer your questions about OC since I don't OC a lot, so I can't help with that area. As that review has said, a solid 50+ fps is what you'll get if you go with triple 1080p monitors, so right now the only problem I see is to learn how to OC and you should be able to get 60+. So if you want to save yourself some money, go with the 970s and all you got to do is learn how to OC them, shouldn't be that hard. Or if money is not an issue, go with the 980s and you should be able to get 60+ fps with no problems.

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014

For me money really isn't an issue (not boasting) so the best gtx 980 i saw was the EVGA Classified ACX 2.0 is that better than gigabyte or msi ? or the ones you chose are better.

-Lone-

Admirable

I'm not saying this is true, but this is what I've heard recently, Evga has had like a break down in customer service, so right now they're kinda bad with helping customers in that area, you can research into that if you wish. But yes that GPU and a Zotac GPU has a core clock of 1.29GHz. So yes it is better than Gigabyte and MSI in speed, but you can always change that with OC and pay a little less money. If I had to choose, I'd have gone with Asus, gigabyte, or MSI right now. I'd had Evga GPU before and it was good but that was back then a while ago, not sure about now. So in my opinion, your best option would be getting the Gigabyte G1 with a core clock of 1.23GHz. So far I haven't heard/read any complaints about Gigabyte 970/980s, so if you wanna play safe with a good speed that you can adjust later on, gigabyte would be your best choice.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn980g1gaming4gd

Solution

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014

thanks man i wish you could help me again in the future if i have any more questions i see you have 2x r9 295x's are you gaming with 4k? and last question tho what monitor would you recommend? the monitor i chose is good? (BenQ XL2420Z) or would you recommend something else?

-Lone-

Admirable
No problem, I wish I could help with OC'ing the GPU, but I've never done it :) I could ask my friend to help if you want for tomorrow, from what I've heard, it is as easy as dragging a bar to the level you want them to be. But yeah, my build is specifically for 4k ultra gaming, although it's actually super overkill by now. The monitor you chose is good, good size and it's 144Hz with a lot of ports to connect to. But if you want to go cheaper with pretty much the same specs but with a little bit less connectors, you could go with this one. It is also a 24 inch 1080p 144Hz monitor with 1 ms response time with built in speakers. As long as a monitor has HDMI and display port, I think you'll be all good to go with no problems since those two connectors are the most common and popular.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014
would be 2 of these http://www.amazon.com/MX299Q-29-Inch-Ultra-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00ENCTVDS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top be better than 3 monitors or are they just fine and i'll be able to play on that resolution and ultra with 60+ fps right? with the 2x 980's and stuff.

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014

and a 1600 watt powersupply would be good right?

-Lone-

Admirable

1600w? That's like triple of what you need, lol. You'd only need that much if you have the GPUs like I do. This one would give you enough for some heavy OC for your GPUs, 750w is enough but if you want OC them pretty high, I'd go for the extra 100 watt.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr

-Lone-

Admirable

I'm not sure about that resolution, ultra wide monitors look weird to me, plus they're not 144Hz. If it was me, I'd go for 3x 1080p 144Hz monitors for the ultra smoothness in games, you can also multi task a lot if you want to play games on your middle monitor , while surfing the web on another monitor, or monitor results/talk to your friends from the game on the 3rd monitor. I think 144Hz is very nice, if I could go 4k@144Hz, I'd be very happy, lol. My friend has that triple 1080p 144Hz setup and he loves everything about it, it helps him with gaming while talking to me or something, monitor his temperatures/computer usage, or use it for work. So that's my opinion if you're getting 2x 980s :)

Alexis92

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014

okay man thanks a lot for the help i hope when i ask another question you would answer it :p and just to make sure i will be able to ultra every game if i have 2x 980's right?

-Lone-

Admirable
Well, I wouldn't say "every" game for ultra with 60+ fps, but yes, there is a good chance that you will be able to. It really depends on which games, each game is optimized differently, in some games you may get like 150 fps for example, in some you may get like 50 fps. I'll take FC4 and BF4 for example, obviously I have the 295x2, I get more fps in BF4 4k@ultra at like 90 fps because it is more optimized for AMD cards, but in FC4 4k@ultra I get like 40-60 because it is mostly optimized for Nvidia. So it really depends on which games, but with 2x 980s, you should have little to no problems running triple 1080p at ultra.