Dual Radeon HD 79xx or Single Radeon R9 290

Ilya Chainov

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Hello friends, with the new autumn releases I discovered that my Radeon HD 7950 3GB Boost is no more matches the requirements of games so I thought to buy some new GPU of the Radeon R series (I mean 290 or 290x) but their prices... oh waoo! So then, as the possible solution came the option to buy second HD 79xx and connect my one with the second threw Crossfire x. And I want to ask you if this combination could be compared to Single R 290(x) and if it will running the new games like AC Unity or CoD Advanced on high or more graphic settings ? Tnx for every1 for helping.

Solution
Your 7950 is still quite capable of playing the latest and most demanding games at the time , So I'd say if you're really anxious for a new card then wait till the release of the R9 3xx series , I guess the R9 390/380X will be in the same price range of the GTX 970 and by the release of these cards you'd have saved enough money.

The 7950 can play the latest games on high settings with good framerates with no AA .

To answer your questions I'd say that a better single card is always than better two weaker cards however in your case the price becomes a significant issue as the R9 290 is coming to its end of life cycle and at $250 Bucks with Mail-in Rebate it's quite tempting .

If I were you I'd buy the 290 in black Friday and crossfire...
Your 7950 is still quite capable of playing the latest and most demanding games at the time , So I'd say if you're really anxious for a new card then wait till the release of the R9 3xx series , I guess the R9 390/380X will be in the same price range of the GTX 970 and by the release of these cards you'd have saved enough money.

The 7950 can play the latest games on high settings with good framerates with no AA .

To answer your questions I'd say that a better single card is always than better two weaker cards however in your case the price becomes a significant issue as the R9 290 is coming to its end of life cycle and at $250 Bucks with Mail-in Rebate it's quite tempting .

If I were you I'd buy the 290 in black Friday and crossfire it when the 3xx series are released or simply hold on till the R9 380X is released.

Solution

Ilya Chainov

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Thank you very much, you really helped dude! :)