• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Question Dual Radeon VII won't post

Jul 6, 2019
So I have a 1.5 year old R7 1700 build with a b350 tomahawk and decided to switch from a 1080ti to a Radeon VII. All was well, so well in fact I got a second Radeon VII to hook into my build. I plugged it in and my system would not post and stays stuck with the VGA motherboard light lit up. I took out my 1st card to test the 2nd one and it works like a champ. I inserted the 1st card into the secondary slot and VGA light. I tried each card in the secondary slot and VGA light. Does this mean my motherboard has a toasted secondary port? What else can I try? Oh my power supply is 750W, I know that's probably not enough but I should at least get to the BIOS screen, no?

Jul 6, 2019
Well the minimum psu that amd reccomend for a single vega vii gpu is 750w no way you can run two of them with this psu.
You think that’s all it is? Shouldn’t I at least be able to post? And why won’t either of the cards work in the secondary slot by themselves?

Jul 6, 2019
Why you need two Radeon 7 in the first place?
Oh I don’t even need a desktop computer I’ve just always wanted one. When I’m not gaming I was mining with my card and the R7 was making enough each day to pay for itself in less than a year so I thought it would be fun to have two since I had the space inside my case. What do you think the problem is? I know the psu is too week to support both cards at full load but I should make it into the bios at least, right? And why won’t a single card work out of the secondary slot?

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
You'll need a SOLID 850 at least like a Seasonic Focus+ or better. 1kW would give you head room.

Why even try to post with 750 when you know @ speed that won't be reasonable. Any way 10:1 your PSU is powering down because of over current protection on powerup. Some cards do boot @ full speed and then immediately clock down. So a current surge isn't a surprise.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019
You'll need a SOLID 850 at least like a Seasonic Focus+ or better. 1kW would give you head room.

Why even try to post with 750 when you know @ speed that won't be reasonable. Any way 10:1 your PSU is powering down because of over current protection on powerup. Some cards do boot @ full speed and then immediately clock down. So a current surge isn't a surprise.
Ah so it won't post because it might be protecting itself, well that makes sense, I just wish I could get a single card to post from the second pci-e slot to confirm it's working before I order a better power supply.

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Ah so it won't post because it might be protecting itself, well that makes sense, I just wish I could get a single card to post from the second pci-e slot to confirm it's working before I order a better power supply.
That's easy. Just pull the card in pcie slot 1.

Also make sure your bus depending on chipset had enough lanes for that second slot. A lot will allow you to have 2 x8 with not much else depending on how the lanes are allocated.

Jul 6, 2019
I tried pulling the card from slot one but leaving the other card in slot two and it just gives the vga warning light. That’s why I’m concerned it’s my motherboard. I think the second slot operates on pci-e gen 2

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
I tried pulling the card from slot one but leaving the other card in slot two and it just gives the vga warning light. That’s why I’m concerned it’s my motherboard. I think the second slot operates on pci-e gen 2
Pci gen 3 is backwards compatible with gen 2. It's part of the spec. Remove card in slot 2 and put in slot 1 and see what happens.

What make and model motherboard are you using and what cpu?

Jul 6, 2019
Pci gen 3 is backwards compatible with gen 2. It's part of the spec. Remove card in slot 2 and put in slot 1 and see what happens.

What make and model motherboard are you using and what cpu?
I've tried both cards in both slots one at a time and they both work in the main x16 slot/PCI_E2 but the secondary PCI_E4 is a no go with a vga light.

Board: B350 MSI Tomahawk Arctic
BIOS: MS-7A34 V17.I BIOS Release from 2019/1/30
VGA: XFX Radeon VII
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750W G2 (70.8A 12V rail)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
MEM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
HDD/SSD: 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, HGST HDN726040ALE614 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache Sata 6.0Gb/s
COOLER: Stock Wraith Spire
KEYBOARD: Blackwidow Chroma v1
MOUSE: ROG GX1000
OC: None

Jul 6, 2019
Yeah according to that watt website my peak power draw is something like 853+ watts do I’ll definitely need to upgrade that, any suggestions or links would be appreciated 😁

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS