dual rank or single rank

gary_murphy101

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
about to purchase 16gb ddr 2666mhz off amazon but it has the same item twice=2x8gb ddr4 but one is dual rank and the other single. there is a 2 pound price difference. building a gaming pc.
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/s is the kit

Solution
Buy the dual rank 2666. In all my experience buying and building I've regretted not buying the better of two options on at least a few occasions. If you regret paying too much for something you gain money again. If you regret buying slower hardware, you are stuck with slower hardware.
D

Deleted member 217926

MERGED QUESTION
Question from gary_murphy101 : "which ram would be best for gaming paired with a i5 8400"

D

Deleted member 217926

MERGED QUESTION
Question from gary_murphy101 : "8400 minimum memory frequency"

Buy the dual rank 2666. In all my experience buying and building I've regretted not buying the better of two options on at least a few occasions. If you regret paying too much for something you gain money again. If you regret buying slower hardware, you are stuck with slower hardware.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
Memory ranks rarely matter anymore. There are a few memory controller that can only accept so many. So say you had a board with 4 dimm slots but the MC could only accept a total of 4 ranks to populate all 4 dimms you would have to use 4 single ranked dimms as 4x1=4. If you used dual ranked dimms you'd only be able to use 2 as 2x2=4.

As far as performance *edit* it depends on the cpu. Some seem to be confusing singe channel and dual channel which is a different beast altogether.

D

Deleted member 217926

Seems to matter with Ryzen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

" Do note that Dual Rank RAM is faster than Single Rank. E.g. 2933 MHz Dual Rank is faster than 3200 MHz Single Rank. Single/Dual Rank is not to be confused with Single/Dual Channel (Dual Channel is always better)."