[SOLVED] Dual Router Port Forwarding Suddenly Stopped Working

Jul 6, 2020
Hi everyone, I have been trying to setup a Minecraft server, and it worked successfully for the past few days, but then suddenly today it stopped working. I have ruled out IP changes since I have positively successfully made my 2nd router a static IP, and my own PC static as well.

Here is a list of the IPs of my network

ISP provided router -
WAN wont show u my ip
LAN 192.168.1.1
My own router (2nd one) -
WAN 192.168.1.5
LAN 192.168.2.1

My PC - 192.168.2.2 LAN

I forwarded the port 25565 on my ISP router to 192.168.1.5 (my 2nd router) which directly forwards that port to 192.168.2.2 (my PC)

Internet>ISP Router>My own router>my PC

It suddenly stopped working today, it worked yesterday and the day before. If it is useful, I have a Fiberhome router as the ISP provided and an ASUS router which is mine. I have also whitelisted the ports in the firewall.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
You could run dmz in both router but if it does not work you still are no closer.

I would change the PC IP to 192.168.1.5 and hook it to the main router instead of the second router. Then put in the DMZ rule. You just want to take one thing out of the chain so you know which router might be causing the issues.
Be sure the server is actually running on the port you think it is and is actually have the network active. Did your wan ip change. Do you use dydns for that issue and did it update properly.

If possible can you re cable to the ISP router so you can test the first port forwarding rule. Assign your PC the same static as your second router wan.

I would use DMZ in both routers rather than port forwarding rules just to test. Port forwarding rules are very confusing in many router where dmz is simple you just put in the proper ip.

In the long run I would see if you can make the ISP router into a modem so you only have 1 router to deal with. Many of these devices have some form of bridge mode. If not you might consider leaving the DMZ in the ISP router since it is not a security concern and if you ever needed a different port forwarded you would only have to put it in your second router.

Jul 6, 2020
Be sure the server is actually running on the port you think it is and is actually have the network active. Did your wan ip change. Do you use dydns for that issue and did it update properly.

If possible can you re cable to the ISP router so you can test the first port forwarding rule. Assign your PC the same static as your second router wan.

I would use DMZ in both routers rather than port forwarding rules just to test. Port forwarding rules are very confusing in many router where dmz is simple you just put in the proper ip.

In the long run I would see if you can make the ISP router into a modem so you only have 1 router to deal with. Many of these devices have some form of bridge mode. If not you might consider leaving the DMZ in the ISP router since it is not a security concern and if you ever needed a different port forwarded you would only have to put it in your second router.
Alright, so all I need to do is set 192.168.1.5(2nd router) as the DMZ in the first router? Or do I need to also set 192.168.2.2(my PC) as the DMZ of my 2nd router?

You could run dmz in both router but if it does not work you still are no closer.

I would change the PC IP to 192.168.1.5 and hook it to the main router instead of the second router. Then put in the DMZ rule. You just want to take one thing out of the chain so you know which router might be causing the issues.

Solution
Keys is you now know it is the second router not the first causing the problem.

If you just need more ports run the second router as a AP rather than a router. Most times when people run 2 routers they want a function on the second router like vpn or maybe some parantal filtering the main router does not have. When you do not need this running 2 routers just causes issues similar to yours.

That router has a AP mode but you can assign it a lan IP of say 192.168.1.250, disable the dhcp, and use a lan port instead of the wan if you want.

If you need it as a router it means that there is something wrong with the port forwarding rules on the asus.