Dual Router Setup

Recklesnes

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
So after recently upgrading my computer and messing around with my android phone, I finally discovered how amazing streaming ps4 games and steam to my phone. While working fine when I'm in the office and playing a quick game of FIFA, the router has to go through multiple walls when I play in my room causing for some latency and sound issues. None of these are due to ps4 speed or networking, just the interference from walls.
How would I set up a dual router conifg? Both are dlink and would be using optimum online 50. Is is possible? And if it is, can the upstairs one be 5ghz while the downstairs stay at 2.4ghz? Or can both output 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz? (Both router support 5ghz and have dual bandwidths. Also the WANs would be coming from one modem)

Solution
Most routers have settings to be able to be set up as an access point. Hook one router up normally to your modem.

Set the 2nd router up as an access point. You can usually find more specific instructions in the user manual.

One thing to note is to connect the 2nd router via one of it's LAN ports, not the WAN port normally used. Some routers have a setting to allow you to change the WAN port to a LAN port so you can use it for connecting another device to the network.
It depends on your cabling.

You can't really hook 2 routers to a single modem, you can but the ISP will charge you extra for a second ip in most cases.

You must hook the second router to the first. You are best off using the second device as a AP to avoid 2 different subnets and the mess with NAT inside your house.

You can use any combination of radios and channels you like. As long as you assign them to different channels you can run 2.4g and 5g on both devices.

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Most routers have settings to be able to be set up as an access point. Hook one router up normally to your modem.

Set the 2nd router up as an access point. You can usually find more specific instructions in the user manual.

One thing to note is to connect the 2nd router via one of it's LAN ports, not the WAN port normally used. Some routers have a setting to allow you to change the WAN port to a LAN port so you can use it for connecting another device to the network.

Solution