Dual Screen not working *UPDATED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Hello, first time poster here. I work at USMC and am trying to get a Lenovo T520i to dual screen.
The issue: I cannot get a second display to show up in the display settings at all.

What I have done and/or am working with.

1) The connection is via VGA, I have no alternative method of connection
2) The display settings refuse to show the second monitor or a projector
3) I have swapped out cables and devices in attempt to remedy the issue
4) went into BIOS and changed the display setting to VGA and then the image will show via external monitor and the projector as well. *edit* (but laptop screen is now black)
5) VGA cable drivers are up to date and functioning

I am at a loss as of what to do, I cannot find a solution online at all. I am running low on time and this is my last resort.

Using a windows 7 64bit
system model 4242BT6
4096MB RAM
Dx 11

This laptop has displayed on a projector before, and similar laptops of the same make work fine. I don't know of any recent changes made to it other than what I listed above as it is not mine, and was just given to me to work on and repair.
-----------------------------------------------updated info below for easy reading-------------------------------

1) in display settings clicking "detect" does nothing,
2)adjusting resolution does nothing
3)In standard VGA Graphics Adapter Properties there are no listed conflicting devices
------

3)In standard VGA Graphics Adapter Properties there are no listed conflicting devices

------

Listing all information from dxdiag

Lenovo T520i

(System Tab)

BIOS: Default system BIOS
Processor: Intel Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Ver.: Dx11

(Display Tab)
Name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Manufacturer: (standard display types)
Chip Type: Intel Sandybridge Mobile Graphics Chipset
DAC Type: 8 bit
----
Drivers
Main Driver: vga

Solution
SOLVED:
This is day 3 with this dreaded laptop and they are starting to pile up now, so screw this I just don't care, the individuals who use the computer are going to have to go into BIOS and switch between VGA and LCD to suite whichever they need, sucks for em' but nothing I can do.

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
update-

I will continue troubleshooting

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

thanks, I forgot to mention I have tried that already. There was no luck in it. I have attempted to use Fn key + F7 but nothing happens

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

The ultimate goal is to get it connected to a projector, but as of now- anything I connect to via VGA, will not work.

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
UPDATE #2

I've attempted every single Display option in the BIOS, none of which help. I would load each option then attempt the FN+F7 key, plus the steps I had listed above..

I'm running out of ideas quick and need some help.

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

From your link you provided
"

Affected Configurations

Any of the following systems with NVIDIA Optimus graphics, running Windows 7, where the machine is set in BIOS to run in Optimus mode:

....T520i" - So there is my laptop listed here

more from the page.

"The following shows what display ports are controlled by the different display adapters. If the display configuration you are using involves both the Intel and NVIDIA graphics adapters, Fn + F7 will not work correctly."

-The laptop I am currently using only has Intel there is no NVIDIA graphics card at all in this
(using Intel Sandybridge Mobile Graphics Chipset)

- ALSO: I went into BIOS and looked everywhere opening all I could, and could not locate anything about Optimus to turn off or on.

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

Thank you, I will continue trying to fix this as well, skipped breakfast and now skipping lunch to get this laptop working right.

I will continue to update

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

Listing all information from dxdiag

Lenovo T520i

(System Tab)

BIOS: Default system BIOS
Processor: Intel Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Ver.: Dx11

(Display Tab)
Name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Manufacturer: (standard display types)
Chip Type: Intel Sandybridge Mobile Graphics Chipset
DAC Type: 8 bit
----
Drivers
Main Driver: vga

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

I am going to install the driver for SM Bus Controller because it is apparently missing, crossing fingers

Can't seem to find a link for it, the laptop is a standalone and cannot go online, I must download the driver, burn to a disk, then execute it off the disk.

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Update Again:

I can't even believe how difficult this is. Been at this for hours now.

I updated the driver, still no luck. All drivers are 100% up to date, all devices I am trying to use work correctly, still unable to dual screen.

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

I am 100% sure, if I go into the bios I can set the display as VGA, and the projector will show the imgage with loss of image on the actual laptop screen which is a no-go.

I just re-imaged the pc and it still does not work.

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

nothing, I went through and have made sure everything is updated, seemingly there are no errors, i feel like I'm overlooking something simple here.

InsaneCain

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
SOLVED:
This is day 3 with this dreaded laptop and they are starting to pile up now, so screw this I just don't care, the individuals who use the computer are going to have to go into BIOS and switch between VGA and LCD to suite whichever they need, sucks for em' but nothing I can do.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS