Question Dual screen setup effect on discreet GPU?

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
So I have a M15r7 and I want to set up a second screen. I don't have an HDMI 2.1 supported screen at the moment so that means no utilisation of my discreet GPU directly. But that's fine by me as I don't plan on using the second screen as my main screen. It's only for side jobs, not heavy stuff like gaming.

My main screen will be my laptop's own screen. It's QHD 240Hz. My question is related to this screen. While using a second screen my laptop's own screen won't be negatively affected right? Specifically I am asking about whether it will still be able to use advanced Optimus to allow the discreet GPU to directly connect to the laptop screen instead of the igpu?

Actually while we are at it, I might as well ask, does it have to be a hdmi 2.1 screen for it to access my dGPU directly? See my laptop has multiple display ports but I read that only the hdmi 2.1 connects to the dGPU directly and only if the connected screen is 2.1 supported. Anything less won't be able to utilise the dGPU directly even if it is connected to the laptop via hdmi.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
This thread might be a worthwhile read. Each laptop maker will wire their ports in a fashion they deem fit, meaning sometimes some ports will be wired to the iGPU and some others will have it wired to the dGPU. In your instance, the HDMI port is wired to the dGPU so regardless of what HDMI version display you work with(that is below 2.1) will feed off the dGPU.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
This thread might be a worthwhile read. Each laptop maker will wire their ports in a fashion they deem fit, meaning sometimes some ports will be wired to the iGPU and some others will have it wired to the dGPU. In your instance, the HDMI port is wired to the dGPU so regardless of what HDMI version display you work with(that is below 2.1) will feed off the dGPU.
Thank you. That's all I needed to know.

G4M30V3R

Commendable
Sep 23, 2020
Umm... I can't mark any answer as best solution on this thread. Why? I can do that on my other question thread on systems forum.