Question Dual SFP Card

The PCIe is not likely the limitation. Remember pcie numbers are in MBYTE.

It is very complex to use 2 ports at those speeds. Largest issue is getting a disk/file system can run that fast. You also have limits on using 2 ports on the same OS.

LittleCreekHosting

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
The PCIe is not likely the limitation. Remember pcie numbers are in MBYTE.

It is very complex to use 2 ports at those speeds. Largest issue is getting a disk/file system can run that fast. You also have limits on using 2 ports on the same OS.

I plan to use it for a Linux router. I have been using Linux routers for more than 10 years. This is my first time wanting to use a 10 G. I will have 10 G fiber coming from the data center and then out to a 10 G switch. It should just forward the packets. You mention limits on using 2 ports on the same OS. Wouldn't Linux just see it as 2 different interfaces?

linux is a little more tolerant than windows is. Even on windows it works fine if the 2 interfaces are 2 different networks. What a lot of people try to do is combine the 2 ports or put them on the same network. Windows tends to not like that.

There's several other home datacenter based forums. I'd check some other places. A lot of fiber stuff people buy used. I'm not sure the best ones to pick but there's a lot of options and nuance. 10G used and DAC cable compatible isn't too expensive from what I under stand. Also watch out for older stuff using a ton of power. If you don't really need 10G it's not really worth the hassle. the best option is often what data centers used the most and are replacing since it ends up being pretty cheap 2nd hand. most of it costs a fortune new.

Yes you would get 10G out of both ports at the same time in both directions. LACP is the standard bond mode that will be compatible with many switches. 1 connection is only on one nic. if you connect two linux machines together you can try other bond types that try and push packets across both nic. I don't think it's very common or popular to use. If you need more throughput than 10 for a single connection you should go for 40G or 100G.

kanewolf

Titan

LittleCreekHosting

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
There's several other home datacenter based forums. I'd check some other places. A lot of fiber stuff people buy used. I'm not sure the best ones to pick but there's a lot of options and nuance. 10G used and DAC cable compatible isn't too expensive from what I under stand. Also watch out for older stuff using a ton of power. If you don't really need 10G it's not really worth the hassle. the best option is often what data centers used the most and are replacing since it ends up being pretty cheap 2nd hand. most of it costs a fortune new.

Yes you would get 10G out of both ports at the same time in both directions. LACP is the standard bond mode that will be compatible with many switches. 1 connection is only on one nic. if you connect two linux machines together you can try other bond types that try and push packets across both nic. I don't think it's very common or popular to use. If you need more throughput than 10 for a single connection you should go for 40G or 100G.
I am just connecting one interface of my Linux router to the data center router and the other interface to my switch. I need 10G service because my 1G is up to 50% right now so I am planning for an upgrade. This is not for home use at all.

LittleCreekHosting

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
What width PCIe V4 slot ? X1, x4, or x8 ?

Keep in mind I am looking to have 10 G on each port since I am using it in a router, From what I am reading a PCIe 2 card would not give me the full 10 G on each port on one card x8 card. Even a PCIe 4 x card would only give me a total of 16 G. Would I not need to have 20 G to get 10 G on each port? Is that correct?

kanewolf

Titan
Keep in mind I am looking to have 10 G on each port since I am using it in a router, From what I am reading a PCIe 2 card would not give me the full 10 G on each port on one card x8 card. Even a PCIe 4 x card would only give me a total of 16 G. Would I not need to have 20 G to get 10 G on each port? Is that correct?
If you look at the performance of V2 -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#History_and_revisions An x8 slot as this card was designed with has 4GB/s that is 32Gb /s so you could have 20Gb throughput. But you HAVE TO us an x8 slot.