[SOLVED] Dual SLI rtx 2060 or single 3060/70?

0808walkerd

Prominent
May 29, 2019
As title suggests, I currently have a VR PC and a gaming PC, I'm thinking about getting a 3060/70 and putting it in my gaming PC. This means I have a spare gcard hanging about that I can put in my vr pc as it also has the same card. I assume the 3 series will perform better than two 2 series? What are the pros and cons?

Solution
2060s don't natively support SLI/NVLink, so that's the biggest issue. There are 'hacks' around, but in most instances you'll have to use unsigned drivers, meaning most 'anti-cheat' or any associated checks & balances will fail, and games won't run.

A single stronger GPU is always preferred, unless you have the top tier card with nowhere to go.

Given a 3070 is rumoured to be "faster than a 2080TI", that would be a nice step up - and sufficient for most VR applications.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
2060s don't natively support SLI/NVLink, so that's the biggest issue. There are 'hacks' around, but in most instances you'll have to use unsigned drivers, meaning most 'anti-cheat' or any associated checks & balances will fail, and games won't run.

A single stronger GPU is always preferred, unless you have the top tier card with nowhere to go.

Given a 3070 is rumoured to be "faster than a 2080TI", that would be a nice step up - and sufficient for most VR applications.

Solution

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I've never used multiple GPU's because I never thought the power usage was worth an often negligible benefit in increased frames. Microstutter and screen tearing can also be issues as the two cards attempt to remain synchronized with each other.