Dual Slot card wont fit in Computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FizalX

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I just got a new video card for my PC, it a PCI - E 2.0 Nvidea MSi N9800GT and it wont fit in my computer case!! I made sure i had PCI Express, and i do... The card has dual slot on the card, and its interfering with my motherboard. My motherboard is intel BTX microc, From dell. Is there anyway i can make it or change it into a single slot?

Old Card:

img6744z.jpg

img6743kt.jpg

img6748.jpg

New Card:

img6740.jpg

img6741z.jpg

img6739t.jpg

img6749f.jpg

img6750t.jpg

BTW i bought the card at future shop, and its far from my house, the last thing i want to do is journy over
there, please someone help!!

NEW PICTURES ARE UP!!!!

Solution

So if i understand correctly, it's only the bracket that is preventing you from using the card?

Is there enough space to fit the card under the CPU cooler? If so, just cut the extra metal bracket off. It doesnt reall have any purpose since the fan on that card is not pushing air out thru it.

Naturally it will void your card warranty ...

Dramamine

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I'd say you should take a picture of your case with the current GPU and the 9800 in it so people can get a better idea of what's going on.

But it seems like you have it figured out for the most part now.
Also, I would imagine having a dual-slot card with just one bracket holding it would cause undue stress on the computer.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

From that picture you can cut off the second slot of the retainer bracket, the only thing on the 2nd slot is the grill for the air.

You should have done your research, this was REALLY simple, look inside the case.

Most cards I have taken it of, is by screwing out the hex shaped socket's for the monitor cable they usually double up as screws and are threaded into the monitor ports that are soldered onto the board. I just checked on my spare Sapphire X1950 pro and that is all that is holding the bracket on.

FizalX

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I see two screws on mine, but everytime i unscrew both, the double bracket wont come off, i think the ports are some how screwed into the bracket aswell.

FizalX

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Oh okay, so how do i unscrew the VGA and the DVI ports? What tool would be need.

A small wrench or spanner (depending on country) or a good set of pliers or a small socket would be best since least change of rounding the hex.
(If you are going to cut it I recommend taking it of the card anyway, most likely the port configuration is different on the old card)

FizalX

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
THANKS SO MUCH!! Thank you everyone for helping and posting suggestions.

MAINLY i thank WA1 for hes constant time and effort and also for roll159 for finding the problem!! the card is dling drivers right now! THANKS SO MUCH!!

Dramamine

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009

I wouldn't imagine anyone downgrading to a 9800GT as an upgrade, but apparently, it is.
The 4870 probably died or something.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

I thought that too but it's actually a 4670, a 4870's stock cooler is way larger.

TRENDING THREADS