Dual Socket Gaming/Rendering Machine - Stuttering

Apr 28, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I have been a long time PC Gamer and OverClocker with my brother for years now and I decided I wanted more cores about 20 of them.

So not long ago I went and got a new setup that is Dual Socket E5 2680 V2 which go about 3.4ghz on 4 of the 10 cores, which I assign 4 to games only. (the issue here is the 4 that are assigned to the game are not all maxed turbo, seems like the turbo mode still just floats around all 10 on that one CPU)

My motherboard brand Tyan S7050 a simple or say cheaper model motherboard for servers. I have 64gig of ram ECC 1600Mhz in it and a 1080gtx.

Now over the last few days, I have been trying to get this Issue fixed as it why it would do this one thing. STUTTER, in high intense video games or should I say more demanding (Battlefield 1, PUBG, Fortnite) my fps is not as good as it used to be like my old setup and I would get stuttering and low fps jumps. I am talking from 120 to 70 (but feels like 25-30) then back up again in a matter of seconds and it does it a lot.

So this is what I have in my setup right now.

Tyan S7050 motherboard LGA 2011 Dual Socket Board

E5 2680 V2 x2 – Turbo is 3.6ghz one core and around 3.4ghz on 4 cores normal is 2.8ghz or 3.1ghz on all 10.

1080GTX Graphics Card

64Gig of Ram ECC Memory at 1600Mhz

USB 3.0 PCI Card

Sound Card in PCI slot also.

SSD 500gig 850

Firecuda 2tb HDD

PSU 850watt Platnium

Running on Win 10 Pro

So what have I done to troubleshoot?

1. Clean install of windows 10 no drivers – Everything on the board. – Stutters

2. Removed USB 3.0 card – Stutters

3. Removed Sound Card – Stutters

4. Graphics card and CPUs are only in it – Stutters

5. Changed slot for GPU – Stutters

6. Turned Turbo Mode off – Stutters

7. Turned USB 2.0 off on the board – Stutters

8. Tried with fresh Win 7 Install – Stutters

9. Only allocated 4 CPUs to the system which all for on turbo goes to 3.4ghz and still stutters in games.

10. RAM Test

11. CPU Test

12. Speed Stepping Off - Still Stutters

What I have not done is taken out one of the CPUs to test single CPU only.

Checked if it does it on another graphics card.

Now I do have a new Bios Chip coming, as I was told it could be the bios for they did Xray the motherboard and held it for a day or so.

I am looking for someone who has a Dual Socket Gaming/Rendering rig that could give me some insight to what could be causing this issue.

UPDATE:

Making some progress, but the direction I dont want, Tested without Hyperthreading and its worse then it was before.

Thanks all
Meathelix

Apr 28, 2018

I have not, I have tried disabling Speed Stepping and that did not change the stuttering. The 64GB is 8 x 8GB DIMMS, Yes.

Will test without hyperthreading now.

UPDATE

Tested without like you said and yeah its way worse, but saying that my CPU's could be the issue here.

Here is the FPS Passing with MSI Afterburner

tzZKdPQ

https://imgur.com/a/tzZKdPQ

Apr 28, 2018
So I had fixed the issue, GAMES HATE! Dual CPU setups...... My FPS is back up to 140+ on BF1 and no more stuttering at all in any of my games when I took out one CPU.

I suggest not to buy dual cpu setup if you plan to game on it :(