[SOLVED] Dual socket overclock

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Hi everyone so I've been doing research to build a dual x56xx Xeon build and I read to be able to overclock I need an EVGA sr2 or something but I read other places intel xtu could do it I'm just trying to clarify if this is possible

Solution
Wanting to OC a dual socket board is one thing.
Trying to do it outside of the BIOS is another.

I would be surprised if you could get any OC out of them with reasonably priced hardware.

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
It is possible, but very unlikely. I dont think xtu supports 1366. Most boards wont allow overclocking unless its a consumer dual socket board, and using setfsb and the boards pll code can be a bit iffey.

Why would you want a dual socket 1366 system anyways? It's quite an outdated setup.
Well a single x5680 overclocked to 4ghz+ is comparable to a i7 5820k and that's quite good so 2 of them for really cheap
And that would be good for VFX and stuff

If you can find an sr-2 that wont kill your wallet, then sure, it'd be dope. But after that, you'll be stuck with a dead end system. Ive tried oc'ing with a dual socket supermicro b4, the bios didnt let me and setfsb didnt work either.

I'd imagine the op wouldnt use it primarily for gaming but rather cpu intensive applications.

Last edited:

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
If you can find an sr-2 that wont kill your wallet, then sure, it'd be dope. But after that, you'll be stuck with a dead end system. Ive tried oc'ing with a dual socket supermicro b4, the bios didnt let me and setfsb didnt work either.

I'd imagine the op wouldnt use it primarily for gaming but rather cpu intensive applications.
Yeah Im going to study VFX and video editing so have 12 cores running at 4.5ghz would be cool for less than $500
And I'm trying to find out if xtu will overcome the problem of having to get an sr2

Agreed. A 2700x doubles the synthetic score of the xeon you are looking at, and an OC wouldnt change much. Not to mention its nowhere near a 5820k in terms of performance either.

A fun idea/side project for the funsies? Yeah sure go ahead.
If you are serious about doing this work, you wouldnt spend extra to get less performance at multitudes more power draw and heat.

I can see where he's coming from,the x5680 is a $50 cpu, so 12 cores for $100 seems mighty fine, however its the sr-2 that I'm worried about, general dual socket 1366 boards are plentiful and cheap, but the sr-2 is rare and expensive. also overclocking wont give a 20% performance boost with a 20% overclock.

also the power draw and heat of two overclocked 120w cpu's.

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Agreed. A 2700x doubles the synthetic score of the xeon you are looking at, and an OC wouldnt change much. Not to mention its nowhere near a 5820k in terms of performance either.

A fun idea/side project for the funsies? Yeah sure go ahead.
If you are serious about doing this work, you wouldnt spend extra to get less performance at multitudes more power draw and heat.
I already have a Ryzen 1700 I was just thinking of getting something for fun and eventually I'll beable to use unraid and yeah but I will need to overclock and if you check online the gaming performance and cinebench scores of a x5680/x5675 @4.5ghz+ is about the same of am i7 5820k(cinebench Xeon x5675@4.6ghz: 1018 i7 5820k@4.7ghz: 1316 8700k stock: 1230 8700k @5ghz: 1623) so it's not that bad compared to more modern CPUs if you overclock and I have a plan for a custom cooling loop I'm gonna be making which will allow me to go sub zero so I really need to know if I can overclock on xtu or another program without needing to get an sr2

Last edited: