Dual Tower suggestion for Quad Channel setup on x99 Deluxe II

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hi.

Am looking for a dual tower air cooling solution for this setup:

X99 Deluxe II w/ i7 6950X (OC'd to 4.0 or 4.2 depending on what i can get away with in terms of stability), 170mm cpu cooler height limit on case, 4 sticks of ram of 44mm size (will be put on all grays lots of mobo for quad channel)

I was suggested a Scythe Fuma previously but i was unable to find a place that ships to my country (brazil). The more i search the more water cooling seem a better option but i'm too finicky with liquid inside my PC...

No limits on budget for the cooler as long as it fits and is effective in the setup i mentioned...
I've got a H411R laying around but will probably remain that way cuz its too weak for the purpose...

PS.: Right now i'm favoring ram clearance options over overall cooling performance cuz i can't get another kit of ram but i can choose not to OC or OC less if i have no other choice...

Thanks

Solution
You may not even need the additional fan(s) with the Noctua. I would try with just the center fan and add an additonal fan, only if needed. If the second fan is needed, even the weak RGB 120mm fan will be fine as it is not moving air by itself.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

Do you think it'll effective in case i do choose to OC the 6950X to 4.0 ? Or is it better not to OC due to excessive heat ? Also, it says that it supports another fan, if i were to get one, would it end up just like the D15? Cuz that one i had to let go cuz the second fan would limit ram clearance to something around 34-36mm and adjusting the fan upwards to clear more space, would go over the cpu cooler height limit of my case...

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

Clearance could be an issue with what Noctua model? The D15 or the D15S? Like i said its 4 sticks that will be put in both sides of mobo

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You could as well get the D15 and take the front fan off. Might want to use it somewhere else in the case or sell it. With the D15 being 165mm and the case clearance being 170mm do you have some room left to raise the front fan if necessary.The D15S doesn't do much worse though.

Other options that imo should do well,
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/8TvRsY,B8rcCJ/
The Cryorig doesn't seem to have a clearance problem with ram according to their site it has no max height for ram. Seems to support a >240TDP which means you should have some overclocking headroom.
The Thermaltake is abit offset to the socket so the fanside should not go over the girst ram slot,but even so you don't use that one,also the back has raised fins so it should be alright as well,even the heatpipes are upwards angled. This one supports a TDP of 280watts according to the website so again headroom for overclocking.

To make it easy on us and yourself,do some googling for reviews about these,alot more info in there than we maybe can provide.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

I actually had my sights on the R1 Universal due to it having "limitless ram clearance" but when i asked about it i was given this response:

"No, it will not have room for RAM on the other side. Cooler is asymmetrical to allow all RAM slots visible on other side. Fins will hang over 2 closest slots and have room for 40.5mm tall RAM only."

So, since my ram is 44mm there's no room for it... Thats why i'm once again looking for a CPU Cooler...

I was wanting a dual tower for a better heat absorption so i think the D15S is the best i can get maybe...
But will also look at others such as the Le Grand Macho RT...
Will do some more research based on the info i got here, thanks

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

That's good to know,they really should put that in their spec sheet.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
@Vic 40

I think i got something... Noctua's Fans are 140mm which is the main problem on ram clearance, so i was suggested to get a Noctua D15 or D15S but put 120mm fans on it. Checking the D15S' spec sheet it says that a second fan of 120mm will leave 45mm of space left on the slots and since the sticks are 44mm, there's a still a tiny breathing room left... Thing is, the 120mm fans i got were bought with looks as the most important factor... They're RGB... Weak 1100 RPM fans with only 45cfm which is perfectly fine as pull/push case fans, but idk how they'll perform as CPU coolers specially on a 10c 20t piece... Opinions? You think they'll perform sufficiently? Cuz on the ram clearance seems to be fine like i mentioned above... Oh, this is the spec sheet i checked:

https://noctua.at/media/catalog/product/f/a/faq_d15s_dim.png

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You may not even need the additional fan(s) with the Noctua. I would try with just the center fan and add an additonal fan, only if needed. If the second fan is needed, even the weak RGB 120mm fan will be fine as it is not moving air by itself.

Solution
i had both the D15 and D15S on my 5960X - there's not much difference, your cpu has 10 cores, mine had 8 but both show the same TDP of 140 watts
THere wasn't much difference in temps with either cooler, only reason i changed, the D15 was 5mm too tall, but the D15S kept my temps in the low to mid 60s rendering video files, showing 97-100% load, and my 5960X was OC'd to 4.3

The D15S will give your ram more clearance

TRENDING THREADS