baron623

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
Hello,

I have two X5660s and a Tyan s7012. I had some issues getting it to post but was able to get it to post with a single X5660 installed. When I install the second, the system fails to post. I have updated the bios to the most recent revision. A green light blinks near the second cpu socket. I've tried multiple ram configurations, I have tested both processors on the socket without the blinking green light. The system turns on immediately when a cpu is installed in the socket that is not working. There are no beeps, or codes from the display

Solution
It looks like a board issue, in my opinion. If new, try RMA-ing it.
I tend to agree. This is likely a motherboard defect. As this is an older device, it is likely no longer under warranty.

Is the BIOS running in its default state, or have you been modifying settings?

baron623

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
I examined the second socket and all the pins appear to be in tact. I don't think the revision is an issue considering the board will not post when using only that socket.

2m5fb6f.jpg

Last edited:

baron623

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
The motherboard was pulled from a server with two CPUs, I'm not sure what CPUs, most likely the 5500 series. The first thing I did after seeing this issue was update the bios because I heard people had issues like this with older bios versions. The power supply is an EVGA supernova 750 G2

baron623

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
yes, one is hiding under the heatsink for cpu1, and the other is in the very back right corner. I have also tried clocking the ram down to 1066MHz from 1333, but that did not work either

baron623

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
No, when both cpus are installed the hex display on the motherboard doesn't even give an error code. Fans all spin though. After a few moments a solid green light next to the socket starts to flash