Dual Xeon build

ace31220

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Hey guys I'm an avid gamer and content creator and when it comes to video edting things are ok on my laptop which is an i75700hq with a 970m 3gb, but I wanted to swap to a desktop and someone I know is selling an old server ( HP DL360 G7 1u ) with dual xeons X5675 with 72gb of ecc ddr3 at 1333mhz, so my plan was to buy that and run it with a 980ti and use it for gaming/video edting, since the whole build would come out to about 600$ (i have HDDs and a case so all I would need is a high wattage modular power supply and some some CPU coolers)

Is this a good idea to have 12 core 24 thread system from 2011 or should I go for something newer?

Side note I'd also like to have 2 ssd's running windows and hackintosh for video editing and have one HDD as a middle man between them for mass storage

Solution
here are the cons to this, i have 2 gen 7 DL360 1u servers

PSU are server units and can not be changed out to ATX units
No PCI-e power cables for your add in GPU
Games will not use the second cpu so its actually a 6 core 12 thread 3.0Ghz cpu
If the server only has 1 back plane you limited to 4 drives, adding a second back plane is not cheap
Drives are not cheap.... limited to, this is if you have dual back planes if not then it would be 4xdrive size
8x1.2TB SAS drives
8x500GB SATA
8x800GB SAS SSD
8x400GB SATA SSD

No idea how a hackintosh build would do on a server board
HP is nolonger giving support to the Gen 7 as of july 2017

In short i would go with a desktop build, be it intel or AMD. Will give you a lot less pain in the long run.

Jwpanz

Honorable
Is your budget capped at $600? I ask because you may be better off with a Ryzen 7 1700. While it has less cores, it has a much higher clock speed and more L3 cache. Oh, and it can be overclocked.

It may cost more but it will work out better.

Agreed. Ryzen is a better choice. Xeon motherboard are typically more expensive and also lack standard features that consumer boards provide. That is a big difference between a server and a workstation.

If you plan on also gaming on this thing. I would not recommend going with Xeons. While it can be done, you can get better results with a consumer cpu\board and still be able to do content design.

here are the cons to this, i have 2 gen 7 DL360 1u servers

PSU are server units and can not be changed out to ATX units
No PCI-e power cables for your add in GPU
Games will not use the second cpu so its actually a 6 core 12 thread 3.0Ghz cpu
If the server only has 1 back plane you limited to 4 drives, adding a second back plane is not cheap
Drives are not cheap.... limited to, this is if you have dual back planes if not then it would be 4xdrive size
8x1.2TB SAS drives
8x500GB SATA
8x800GB SAS SSD
8x400GB SATA SSD

No idea how a hackintosh build would do on a server board
HP is nolonger giving support to the Gen 7 as of july 2017

In short i would go with a desktop build, be it intel or AMD. Will give you a lot less pain in the long run.

Solution