Question Dual Xeon E5 2695 v2 vs Threadripper 1920x/2950x

nkchokshi

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Hey guys can anyone help me out with decision. I am building my system for editing vfx stuff, so i need more core system. Now i was just looking up on Ebay there is E2695 v2 the old xeons are sale for approx $250 each and if i grab chinese mobo. it costs another $200, in total at cost of $700 i could build system with 24 cores. plus ram and GPU. While in Threadripper 1950x it costs average about $590 for processor and $300 for board. DDR4 rams are bit higher but yes Ram and GPU. overall saving about $250-$300 and if i build 2950x system then, processor only will cost $850.

So the question here is should i opt for 3-4 years old processors and board-ddr3. tech or grab the new one. If anyone have grabbed recently, these processors.

Thank you.

Make sure the software you use can even use 48 threads and scales well. Many software, even for vfx, may not scale well after so many plus working on vfx is not the same as actually needing the cores for final output. Tr may outperform those 6 year old cpus in some uses because of scaling inefficiencies and ddr3. You could also look for a used tr on ebay which puts both systems about the same price. Complete systems are cheaper than separate parts which would save more money.