Question dual xeon will nt boot with 4 ram sticks

Jul 19, 2021
I received 2 old Xeon cpus E502670 (Sandy Bridge).

I bought a Jingsha x79 dual cpu motherboard and set it up with the new (old) cpus, and existing graphics card, 2x8GB memory + 2 new 8GB memory sticks.

I can only boot up with 3 memory sticks.

With each stick individually, everything works. So I don't think the memory is the problem.

Motherboard has 4 memory slots for each cpu, coloured orange, black, orange, black (from furthest to closest to cpu).

Computer will not start if no memory in first orange slot for cpu 1.

Computer will not start if any memory in second orange slot for cpu 1.

I am currently running with 8GB in first orange slot for cpu1, and 2x8GB in orange slots for cpu2.

i haven't tried every combination, but my impression is putting memory in black slots does not help. (Should I try orange for one cpu and black for the other?)

Any suggestions as to how I can go from 24 GB (existing config) to 32GB (so the extra memory stick doesn't get thrown out or destroyed).?

First step in FAQ is read the motherboard manual. Not possible. It is not in English, with no link to an English version. By the time I've learned enough to read the manual I would have a better computer and not need to read the motherboard manual for this computer.

Overall I am happy. New computer is 4-5 times faster than previous one, bt I would like to use all my memory.

TRENDING THREADS