DUAL XEON's not recognized by Windows 10 Pro

mrscotte

Reputable
May 18, 2015
E5 2383 v3 CPU issues

I have dual E5-2620 v3 CPU's installed and working well. I recently purchased two used E5-2683 v3 CPU/s to increase my CORE count for 3D Architectural design. Upon installation of the 2683's the MB BIOS Posted both CPU's just fine. THe BIOS reported the presence of both Chips with TEMP and Voltage information. However, upon starting Windows 10 Pro, the "System" only reported a single CPU present. I ran CPU-Z, and HWINFO and both programs report same (one CPU). CPU-Z reported the core and thread count to be 12 and 24 when it should have been 14 /28 respectively. I tried swapping the CPU slots and the same reported.

My question. 1) Is there something in the BIOS and or Windows I can do to say "Reset" so that both report as they do with the 2620's or are my findings indicative of a faulty CPU(s)? When I replaced the 2620's all is well again so I am at a loss.

I need your help. Please advise. I would be happy to call and discuss with someone that has more expertise than me. I need to make a decision to try something else or return the CPU's for refund.

Kind regards,

mrscotte

Reputable
May 18, 2015

I am running an ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS board. As I indicated, I did swap the CPU's in opposite slots one and two and received the same reports in both POST and BIOS. The CPU's appear to be powering up (although one is running hotter than the other) but BOOT UP is fine. It's INSIDE Windows 10 Pro things go south. Are you suggesting that I install only one CPU at a time and see what happens after boot up? Ok.

What do you make of CPU-Z only showing 12 Cores and not 14 Cores (Spec for this CPU)? Also, Here is what the supplier suggested I try.

We tested it on ASUS Z10PA-D8 WS..With bios 3202. (I am Running 3304, they also claim their CPU-Z show the same MB as mine yet say they can only use one cpu slot. sounds odd to me.

Here are some tips,which make you confirm the processor works or not.
1)Motherboard need be protected.They will protect itself and shut down auto when you install CPU with incorrect operation or other wrong action.
2)CPU Fans works well or not? CPU is installed properly or not?
3)Is the power enough for electricity supply?If not,it will shut down too.
4)Are all power lines properly connected or not?
5)If you test and run it in computer case or other cases,it will be more likely to lead to short-circuit.You can try to test it without case.

Additional Instructions from Supplier.
There have two situations you may encounter when receive the them: the system automatic shutdown or the item cannot be lightened. Therefore, we give you a brief introduction about how to use it correctly.
1.(1)Don't touch the metal surface of the CPU, in case of electrical shock and circuit.
(2)When install the CPU on the motherboard, you need to notice the CPU’s direction of the needle, don't put in the opposite direction.(There are four corners on the surface of CPU, one of the angle has a triangle symbol---the same as CPU seat of the motherboard .)
(3)The installation process must be smooth and flat, and confirm the CPU with the CPU seat can connect smoothly.
(4)Press down the CPU with your hand, and fix the CPU well into the CPU seat.
(5)When install the CPU fans, you need to ensure the fans strength evenly with every four corners.
2.When you encounter the CPU runs Automatic Power Off and the time gets shorter and shorter, there is no doubt that something wrong with your CPU fan’s cooling equipment, for example,
(1)CPU do not coating thermal paste.
(2)CPU radiator power cord is unconnected or connection error.(Haven’t connected with the motherboard logo likes CPU FAN1 or CPU FAN2.)
(3)CPU fans was broken , they do not run or low rotating speed.
(4)If you have more platform(PC), we suggest you test the CPU directly on another test platform.
3.You have installed properly, but the CPU still unable to lighten. Please pay more attention, it must be properly installed but unable to lighten. In this situation, we can provide you solution as following:
(1)Remove the CPU first, and use eraser to wipe the metal surface, and you would know whether it has circuit or not.
(2)Try to insert and withdraw the memory. Memory kit will occur poor connection , you may need to discharge or insert and pluck the memory to solve this problem.
(3)Cleared out COMS(All the motherboard has a battery, this is motherboard’s COMS),there has a jumper wire on the edge of COMS. You can try to use the jump line to clear out the COMS and discharge the motherboard;
(4)Reinsert and pluck the electric source to supply power and connect pin for motherboard, such as 24P or 28P socket, you can withdraw and install it again, and CPU power supply socket (4P or 8P interface) can also play an important role in the discharge.
(5)Try again to install the CPU properly.

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
I did not understand correctly when i read the posting first time.
I've had some similar issues last year, try resetting your bios to default with the CMOS jumper (it worked for me but was another chipset). If does not surge effect, as your bios detect the right CPU, would suggest reinstall the system or try some Portable System to verify.

And yes, if you can test them separately just for sure.

mrscotte

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Well, I can certainly give that a try. Take a look at the BIOS DATA BELOW (Not sure how to attach a photo) of my BIOS. As you can see the BIOS "IS" reporting correctly TWO PHYSICAL CPUs. The POST showed both as well and the Correct E5-2683 v3 designation. Again, it is only one WINDOWS 10 Pro is up and running that one one (1) CPU appears. Does this support your thesis? Thanks again for the prompt response. I hate to return the CPU's if there is something I can do to resolve this issue.

CPU1 Temp 41.0 C
CPU2 Temp 37.5 C

+CORE1 +1.782 V
+CORE2 +1.780 V

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

The temps and voltages seems good to me.
I mean to test them one by one to reduce the possible issues, trying first to do the windows recognize the correct number of cores (May windows is set up to see only X cores, try to verify that at msconfig as showed at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luGZC-5DeQA ).

We do know the SO can't recognize the CPUs correctly and only recognize one.
Everything is up-to-date and you have all well installed since you have already changed sockets too.
Another possibility could be CPUs not equal, but you told the bios recognize both as E5-2683 v3.

Bios reset has done some good ?

(Will do some research to try think out of the box and will come back if any possible solution appears)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sounds like you're sure, but just to be clear - you are 100% sure you're dealing with matching CPUs? I would assume most issues would be an easy spot, but I guess an E5-2683 v4 could be easy to overlook.

That situation doesn't explain only detecting 12 cores though (the v3 is 14, the v4 is 16).... so it's kind of tough. An E5-2680 v3 is a 12core chip, is there any chance you misread your BIOS by chance?

Similarly (and equally as stupid a question, I'm sure) but you're definitely running Pro? Home (I believe) is limited to single CPU setups, so overlooking the OS choice during install could simply be the issue.

mrscotte

Reputable
May 18, 2015

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am 100% sure the POST showed E5 2683 v3 CPU's. And Yes, 100% sure I am running Windows 10 PRO. I had to go Pro when I build the original System last year with the E5-2620 v3 XEONs. ALL WORKS FINE WITH THOSE CPU's.

The Z10PE-D8 WS Board does a double POST, one for each CPU, and they are both identical. Yes, v3 is a 14 Core and v4 is a 16 Core CPU but the one CPU Windows does see (V3) is reporting 12 Cores...Hum!...which leads me to suspect something is wrong in the CPU.

I have not tried resetting the CMOS yet.

Another interesting finding. Under Windows Device Manager|Hardware|Processors The Processor count is 56! Which is precisely what it should be, but again. CPU-Z and HWINFO do not reflect the same. They show only one (1) Physical CPU installed.

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
If the CMOS reset does not work, do a clean system install with another Harddrive or in another partition.

I'm 95% sure the clean install will have it fixed. The others 5% tells to use another drive or partition to test :)

mrscotte

Reputable
May 18, 2015

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

Installing windows 10 pro (by USB to an empty partition/harddrive) without any software or moving files here and there takes about 40 minutes only.
My concern is to mess up with your actual system.

mrscotte

Reputable
May 18, 2015

mrscotte

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Well, I am waiting for a Samsung 960 Pro nvmi 512 GB M.2 drive to arrive. My current C:\ (boot drive) is only 128gb and is full. The plan is to install the M.2 drive and migrate. I have a USB boot drive setup now. What if??? I remove the existing drive and replace with another drive and redo the system just for this test. If it does not solve the issue I can simply replace the original C:\ drive and all is as is now. Either way, I will swap the OS with the M.2 when it arrives.

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

yeah, i meant that somehow... Use an empty hard drive to perform a clean install. Don't use your used drive because if it does not solve you can just swap back, as you said.

mrscotte

Reputable
May 18, 2015

So what happens the existing OS on the C:\drive? If I don't remove the physical drive won't the system be confused by two drives with OS installed? Not sure I am comfortable in knowing how to do this exactly.

Maluco4660

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
To do the test, remove all your internal drive (any SSD or HDD being used this moment, can just unplug the SATA cables). Install another physical drive empty or without anything important, and format this new HDD/SSD with a clean system.

If you install another drive to test with the clean install, without removing your physical "C:" drive, it will write a new entry into your boot record pointing to the new drive (Also known as Dual-Boot). When you remove the new installed drive, the entry created at the boot record will stay there and ask every time you boot your computer, which system you want to start.

mrscotte

Reputable
May 18, 2015

TRENDING THREADS