[SOLVED] Dualboot while using (X)Ubuntu

Ahmed.K

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
Hi, I am currently using Xubuntu(an official light version of Ubuntu)
I want to add something to the laptop startup, so it asks that "Use Windows or Ubuntu"
But how can I add Windows to Ubuntu?
I think its called Dualboot but I don't know anything about that

So can someone tell me how can I setup this Dualboot in Ubuntu?
And is it possible to give 300GB to Ubuntu and 700GB to Windows?
And can I change the size that I gave above?

Thanks!

Solution
Grobe is right, you need to install Windows 10 first. Then, install Xubuntu. You want to choose the following option: Install Xubuntu Alongside Windows. This is the safest, and should work. At least, it always did for me when dual booting Windows 7 and Linux. Theoretically, it still works for Windows 10. However, I have never tried it (although I may soon).

If it doesn't, another approach will be needed, involving setting up a partition for Linux. but this is probably too much for a beginner, so I would advise you to get some hands-on help. Hopefully, the first method will work fine. But I can't guarantee it.
Can you elaborate how your computer is set up right now. Ie. how is the drive partitioned and how much space have you assigned to windows vs. Linux?
Are both OS installed? Did you install Windows first and then Xubuntu? Do you remember what options you selected when installing Xubuntu ?

Ahmed.K

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
Can you elaborate how your computer is set up right now. Ie. how is the drive partitioned and how much space have you assigned to windows vs. Linux?
Are both OS installed? Did you install Windows first and then Xubuntu? Do you remember what options you selected when installing Xubuntu ?
Hi, Thanks for your reply, I just have Xubuntu with no partitions(except what Xubuntu had created itself(e.g. recovery partition, etc.))

What I need is to add Windows to the Xubuntu Boot Menu(GNU GRUB)

I currently have installed no other OS than Xubuntu

I have the Windows bootable USB which I would like to add to my Hard Drive and to GNU GRUB(Xubuntu Boot Menu)

I hope I gave the information you needed, if you need more information just ask me

Windows cannot be installed onto a typical Linux partition (filesystem probably EXT4), so you need to take some actions to make aditional space on the harddrive where you can install windows.

I have never actually tried to dual boot (b'cause I use only Linux) with windows, but from what I have heard, the easiest way to acomplish a dual boot system is to install windows first, and then install Linux - and in the install menu, you choose dual boot (don't remember excact phrase right now).

There is probably possible to do it the other way aroud, but there will be much more complicated to make it work properly.

I beleive the easiest way to use windows must be to run it virtually, i.e. use VirtualBox.

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Grobe is right, you need to install Windows 10 first. Then, install Xubuntu. You want to choose the following option: Install Xubuntu Alongside Windows. This is the safest, and should work. At least, it always did for me when dual booting Windows 7 and Linux. Theoretically, it still works for Windows 10. However, I have never tried it (although I may soon).

If it doesn't, another approach will be needed, involving setting up a partition for Linux. but this is probably too much for a beginner, so I would advise you to get some hands-on help. Hopefully, the first method will work fine. But I can't guarantee it.

Solution

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
Download and flash to a memory stick the Gparted distribution. Boot it with and create partitions for your operating systems. Install windows first and then xubuntu. I hope you use MBR partitions and not EFI to make life easier.