[SOLVED] DualShock4 no longer working via bluetooth

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Basically, I was playing a game with my DS4 pad wirelessly using a USB Bluetooth dongle, I went to eat, came back and pad is no longer being able to connect. I can use it with a cable, but wireless is no longer an option. I recorded a video explaining how things are hoping that someone knows a way to fix this. The link is from Dropbox, keep in mind that it drops quality drastically so you might need to download the small file to see better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg9fqxntssgjyw1/Produce.mp4?dl=0

I am really not getting this "mood swings" that PCs have, one moment it's all perfect, the next moment everything is effed up for no reason and without warning.

Solution
Could either be the controller bluetooth that is failing, or the bluetooth dongle itself. Can you try to pair another device through bluetooth, such as your smartphone or a mouse? if the connection cuts as well, then the dongle needs probably to be changed. You can also just try to unplug the dongle and replug it to see if that fix the problem, but I wouldn't keep my hope to high.
If the dongle works fine with other devices, then the problem would be the controller, unfortunately.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Could either be the controller bluetooth that is failing, or the bluetooth dongle itself. Can you try to pair another device through bluetooth, such as your smartphone or a mouse? if the connection cuts as well, then the dongle needs probably to be changed. You can also just try to unplug the dongle and replug it to see if that fix the problem, but I wouldn't keep my hope to high.
If the dongle works fine with other devices, then the problem would be the controller, unfortunately.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My experience with using PS controllers with Win10 machine is limited to Dual Shock 3, so not sure what differences there may be.

To be able to utilize the PS controller I have to use a program called 'SCP' that for a wired connection just maps the controller over as an Xbox one. In the case that I want to use it wireless I have to either change the driver for the onboard Bluetooth, or like you have mentioned, a dongle.

I have found that if Win 10 does a major update that often it will restore the stock driver to the Bluetooth such that I have to run the driver installer for SCP again to have it connect wirelessly. It became problematic enough for me to prefer using mine wired.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Hi, thanks for your reply. I tried connecting phone to PC, however, both devices are stuck on connecting/pairing even tho they found each other on the list. After some time, PC says "couldn't connect, try connecting again" while phone still keeps that frozen "pairing..." Now, a dongle can find devices around, but it can't connect with them, and that is the conclusion. Hopefully the pad is alright then, at least.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
yeah, that rule out the pad being faulty. if you haven't try this yet it is worth trying to restart the computer, but you're most likely in need for a new dongle. you can also look with the dongle manufacturer to see if you can download driver for it, as it costs nothing to try.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
My experience with using PS controllers with Win10 machine is limited to Dual Shock 3, so not sure what differences there may be.

To be able to utilize the PS controller I have to use a program called 'SCP' that for a wired connection just maps the controller over as an Xbox one. In the case that I want to use it wireless I have to either change the driver for the onboard Bluetooth, or like you have mentioned, a dongle.

I have found that if Win 10 does a major update that often it will restore the stock driver to the Bluetooth such that I have to run the driver installer for SCP again to have it connect wirelessly. It became problematic enough for me to prefer using mine wired.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have also used DS3 pad in the past and with it SCP that you've mentioned. The problem with it was that bluetooth connection was terrible, all actions were delayed or not even registered, so I used it wired. Unlike DS3 which strictly required SCP, the DS4 is auto-installed as soon as it is connected via cable and is ready to use, however, not all games support it, so it is required to transform it to Xbox pad in order for all games to register it. Right from the start the dongle (the same one I tried using for DS3) found the pad when I pressed the PS button and it worked, and suddenly it no longer connects. I still can use the pad wired but I don't have the freedom of movement anymore. I just don't get why all of a sudden.

Reactions: punkncat

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
yeah, that rule out the pad being faulty. if you haven't try this yet it is worth trying to restart the computer, but you're most likely in need for a new dongle. you can also look with the dongle manufacturer to see if you can download driver for it, as it costs nothing to try.
I have restarted PC many times, reinserted the dongle as well, nothing is different. The dongle starts flashing red as soon as soon as I press PS button, however, the exact moment when I click on the bottom right corner the notification for pairing, the dongle stops flashing red and loses signal, I guess, after which the pad shuts off regardless of whether I choose allow or cancel.