Duck flight pond - problems!

Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

As I've posted here before, I have been feeding a duck flight pond all
summer. At its peak, the duck were eating about 2/3rds of a bucket of
barley each and every night. Recently, there have been about eight teal
during the day and a few mallard. Probably up to 20 at night. Now NOTHING!

Immediately before their total disappearance, I noticed the barley was
going below the water line but not from dry land. During the summer, the
duck were leaving the water and walking up to a dozen yards from the pond
to eat barley. I suspect the reason they stopped leaving the water was
foxes. I have caught several about 50 yards from the pond but there is
nowhere suitable for snaring closer to the pond although the weed growth
(since sprayed) would have given a stalking fox good cover.

Last night I waited to see what would come in to the pond. Absolutely
nothing! This from a peak of around 40 during the day and an indeterminate
number at night.

However, I did see something swimming in the water. Eventually, it came out
of the water and ran towards me. I am pretty sure it was an otter cub. It
seemed to be playing in the water and when it came out, it appeared to be
shaped like a large rat about the size of a domestic cat. When it saw me,
it turned and ran back to the pond.

Now, would a family of otters cause the duck to desert the pond? The pond
is about 75 yards x 75 yards with a small island. Today, I have been
erecting electric netting, but without a lot of hope. :(

Thanks for your wisdom as usual.

Derry

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

it appeared to be shaped like a large rat about the size of a domestic cat.
When it saw me, it turned and ran back to the pond.
Now, would a family of otters cause the duck to desert the pond? The pond
is about 75 yards x 75 yards with a small island. Today, I have been
erecting electric netting, but without a lot of hope. :(
Thanks for your wisdom as usual.
Derry

Hello Derry, You sure it's not a mink? they would definitely cause the ducks
to desert. I dunno about otters though as ducks and otters co exist quite
happily in several places.
Hope this helps
Regards
Dave

Alec

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
Archived from groups: uk.rec.shooting.game (More info?)

In article <df1igs$3j$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>, Dave
<theflykwacs@btinternet.com> writes
>it appeared to be shaped like a large rat about the size of a domestic cat.
>When it saw me, it turned and ran back to the pond.
>Now, would a family of otters cause the duck to desert the pond? The pond
>is about 75 yards x 75 yards with a small island. Today, I have been
>erecting electric netting, but without a lot of hope. :(
>Thanks for your wisdom as usual.
>Derry
>
>Hello Derry, You sure it's not a mink? they would definitely cause the ducks
>to desert. I dunno about otters though as ducks and otters co exist quite
>happily in several places.

Otters will certainly kill tame ducks and will attack wild ones if they
get the chance, so perhaps the birds are being wary of it.

Someone else has suggested mink and I would concur that they would drive
ducks away. Are there any in your area?

Alec <A@mao.me.uk> wrote in news:OdZmnfrwvGFDFwe0@indaal.demon.co.uk:

> In article <df1igs$3j$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>, Dave
> <theflykwacs@btinternet.com> writes
>>it appeared to be shaped like a large rat about the size of a domestic
>>cat. When it saw me, it turned and ran back to the pond.
>>Now, would a family of otters cause the duck to desert the pond? The
>>pond is about 75 yards x 75 yards with a small island. Today, I have
>>been erecting electric netting, but without a lot of hope. :(
>>Thanks for your wisdom as usual.
>>Derry
>>
>>Hello Derry, You sure it's not a mink? they would definitely cause the
>>ducks to desert. I dunno about otters though as ducks and otters co
>>exist quite happily in several places.
>
> Otters will certainly kill tame ducks and will attack wild ones if
> they get the chance, so perhaps the birds are being wary of it.
>
> Someone else has suggested mink and I would concur that they would
> drive ducks away. Are there any in your area?

I don't think we have mink. Spoke to Guru (Kim) Sawyer this evening on the
phone and he agree otters were probably to blame as they do kill duck, with
foxes probably the culprits that stopped the duck coming onto dry land. His
duck have also departed and he reckons a fox or something was having a go
at them at night.

I am pretty sure it was not mink. This animal was doing a lot of playing. I
waited behind some bushes for the duck to arrive and could hear this
splashing. Then I moved so I could see the pond. The "otter" was definitely
playing, diving and surfacing,and when it came out of the water it was more
otter shaped than mink shaped. Do mink play in water for extended periods?
That seemed more like an otter characteristic to me. But I could be wrong!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I knew I could rely on you guys!<g>

Derry

TRENDING THREADS