Question Ducky Shine 7 vs Corsair mk2

Apr 22, 2019
I typically don't make these kind of posts, actually I can't recall the last time I made a VS post in any forum, but now I am in bit of a toss up. I bought a ducky shine 2 back in 2012, and it has been running strong since. Back in 2016, for fun, I bought a logitech G810. I've recently, in the past year, switched back to my ducky. Something about the feel of it and the browns, it's just a good keyboard. But you get bored after many years of using the same stuff, so I am looking to upgrade.

When I originally got the shine 2, I swore I would never bother with another brand again; I loved it. Having watched the different models of Ducky keyboards go by year after year, they don't look like they have changed to me. I was looking at trying a different switch, reds or silver, on the shine 7, but I can't imagine the keyboard, overall, feeling all that different outside of the switch change. Yes the building materials have changed a bit, and so has the built in software ("better" lighting etc), but the keyboard has followed the same design. Which has led me to consider one of the newer Corsair models.

I have always liked corsair for their RAM and PSU, and last year I bought a scimitar pro, to replace my Razer Naga. I love the mouse, and it really made me start looking at corsair a bit more in the form of peripherals. I am personally done with Razer...having had a few of their products, they did not sit well with me as a brand. Only liked their mice, and even those over the years have lost their impression on me. SO now, I am looking towards the Corsair line of keyboards - specifically the k70 MK2.

I can't imagine ducky disappointing me with their product; after a little research it still appears they have upheld their name. The removable USB cord is a huge bonus, but ironically enough, I never had to replace it in the 6-7 years I have owned the keyboard. Corsair has dedicated media keys, which is only a small convenience, but the volume scroll wheel is a huge plus to me (that's the one thing I loved about the g810, it was just so easy to quickly change the volume). Corsair also has the built in wrist rest, the USB pass-through, and now the option of low vs regular profile. TBH I couldn't care less about macro keys, I never used macros in any gaming I have done, and macros only seem like a plus to any kind of software or modelling work, which I currently don't do. I have tried the one k70 display model at Canada Computers, and it felt pretty good to me. I guess I am just scared that I will buy it, and be disappointed down the road.

Lutfij

Titan
I don't see a question mark in either of your paragraphs. Meaning, you're question is...? If you're looking for suggestions about which to purchase, IMHO, I'd say that you go for either since the palette for a keyboard varies from user to user. On top of that, Ducky's usually are meant for a niche crowd or folks who do coding/programming languages. Corsair's keyboards are targeted towards the gaming crowd. The build quality on the Ducky's are ofc higher than most on the market and is the reason they are sought after and they cost a tad bit higher.

Keyboards, mice, etc.. are personal picks, what 50 others like you may not, what 20 others want in a keyboard for features you may not care about, there are dozens of switches and constructions options in keyboards, the feel is again all personal. I own a few Corsair keyboard, a few generic mechanical brands, HyperX with Kaleh switches, some higher end brands, all have their good points. I would pick them at different times for different things. For example the HyperX Kaleh Silver is smooth and easy typing, not too loud, so I got it for work. I have a Corsair RGB Silent because it's at home in living room area so wanted a quiet setup and RGB just because. I have a 10keyless red switch Leopold for use with a laptop, some others for kids and spares.

If you tried out a keyboard at a store and you like it, no reason why you should not get it if you like it better than what you have.

Apr 22, 2019
I don't see a question mark in either of your paragraphs. Meaning, you're question is...? If you're looking for suggestions about which to purchase, IMHO, I'd say that you go for either since the palette for a keyboard varies from user to user. On top of that, Ducky's usually are meant for a niche crowd or folks who do coding/programming languages. Corsair's keyboards are targeted towards the gaming crowd. The build quality on the Ducky's are ofc higher than most on the market and is the reason they are sought after and they cost a tad bit higher.
My apologies, I meant to make it a question. I think I got so caught up in my own thoughts, that I kind of forgot to make sure I was clear.

But thanks for the replies guys! I did go to the store and tried out the keyboards again; I ended up going with the corsair low profile keyboard, with the rapid fire switches. Canada computers has a 15 day return policy, no questions asked, so long as you kept all the original packaging. I figured worst comes to worst, I just return it if I didn't like it. I know some people didn't like the rapidfire switches, because they found them too sensitive, but I find they're just fine for me. They are also nice to type on, and despite the keys being low profile, there is still enough room on them to fit O-rings for a quieter key-press. That being said, the O-rings will make the key sit about a mm higher, which didn't happen on my full-size key-caps of my Ducky.

I did find the hand rest didn't add too much of a benefit, because of the size of my hands, the bottom of the palm rests at the bottom of the handrest, so it provides little boost for my wrists. I do wish that was a little more meaty. One thing I have noticed with the keyboard, is that there is a metallic resonance when typing. I am not sure if that is from these types of switches, or if it's cause by the aluminum back-plate, but I can see that being annoying to some people. It's not noticeable though if you have your headphones on, so from a gaming perspective that's not an issue.

The usb pass-through is great, because I just use it for my mice, so it's nice and simple if I want to switch to a different kind of mouse depending on the game.

I don't think you could really compare this keyboard to a ducky though. At least comparing it to my Shine 2, they really feel very different . The ducky being a simple, but still nice feeling, robust beast, where as the corsair trades in some of the robust feeling, for more bells and whistles.

Now to figure out if I want to put Orings on all the keys or not.

Last edited:
My apologies, I meant to make it a question. I think I got so caught up in my own thoughts, that I kind of forgot to make sure I was clear.

But thanks for the replies guys! I did go to the store and tried out the keyboards again; I ended up going with the corsair low profile keyboard, with the rapid fire switches.

That was a nice keyboard, when I got my keyboard for work with the Kaleh Silvers the low profile Corsair was one of the top few I was considering as well.

Not that hard to decide about the o-rings, they are only a few dollars to get. Get them and see how you like them. I use them at work to keep the sound less sharp. It is only a tiny bit less loud, but the sound is more rounded than a click which is easier on the ears. And it shortens the key travel a bit and softens the bottom out feel. Really for the cost to try them, not an issue.