loveamd

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hey there people,

(Sorry for the run on, I am not sure how to best get my question across in one post)

I am looking at upgrading my 939 to a FX60 and a NVIDIA 7900 in a couple months. I will format my HD and reinstall my copy of XPpro at that time. After a while by just the normal usage of the OS, it will begin to slow my FPS. (This is what I have experienced anyway)

My goal is to have one computer available for general things like word processing, surfing the internet things like that. And then to have one for strictly gaming only, and after 6 months not have it slow down. I only want one computer tower though.

So what is the best way to go about this? Do I create a partition on the initial installation and just install XP separately on each partition? Or do I get another HD and install the OS on that. Do I need a new XP or can I use my current XP twice? When I am using the gaming side of the computer, will any of the programs that are installed on the other side be accessible or running? I don't want them to be because I can just install ONLY the programs I want to run those gamesonly (forever clean). I think while playing games like BF2, I want the other side of the computer to be totally off.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. If this is a good set up let me know. Or if there going to be problems let me know.

Just on the front of this, I would think buying a new HD and installing a new version. of XP would be the best way to go.

sturm

Splendid
Make 1 drive with 2 partitions. Use each for a seperate install of xp. Use 2nd hard drive just for the games.
Since its the same computer and your only using one installation at a time I would say its "legal" to do. I am not a lawyer, thank god or id kill myself, so I am not sure. But I would do it.

Youll just have to be carefull when installing programs to get the correct drive letter in the install box.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Hey there people,

(Sorry for the run on, I am not sure how to best get my question across in one post)

I am looking at upgrading my 939 to a FX60 and a NVIDIA 7900 in a couple months. I will format my HD and reinstall my copy of XPpro at that time. After a while by just the normal usage of the OS, it will begin to slow my FPS. (This is what I have experienced anyway)

My goal is to have one computer available for general things like word processing, surfing the internet things like that. And then to have one for strictly gaming only, and after 6 months not have it slow down. I only want one computer tower though.

So what is the best way to go about this? Do I create a partition on the initial installation and just install XP separately on each partition? Or do I get another HD and install the OS on that. Do I need a new XP or can I use my current XP twice? When I am using the gaming side of the computer, will any of the programs that are installed on the other side be accessible or running? I don't want them to be because I can just install ONLY the programs I want to run those gamesonly (forever clean). I think while playing games like BF2, I want the other side of the computer to be totally off.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. If this is a good set up let me know. Or if there going to be problems let me know.

Just on the front of this, I would think buying a new HD and installing a new version. of XP would be the best way to go.

again is it not just a case of spyware? go download "spybot search and destroy" update it run the test and if it comes up with anything then you kno its spyware...o and it wont find everything so afterwards get, AVG free edition, Adaware and spyware blaster... and that should keep it clean in the future... o and use firefox :D

loveamd

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I currently have Symantec AV Corp Edition, a great program called System Suite 6 from Vcom for another AV and spyware, Ad-Aware SE, M$ Antispyware beta 2, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Spy Sweeper, and I run CWShredder and HijackThis often. Only the AV programs a scanning and running in the background. The others are supposed to be passive. Plus about once a month I defrag. ..

(Just think about how much further along technology might be if these smart people who make viruses put their powers towards the good side of the force. Plus other engineers might be able to focus on better things..)

After I install a fresh XP and all my AV and antispyware stuff, I will usually run 3DMarkwhatever. Then after a few months ( no spyware that I know of) my 3DMark score will go down. It is like my system gets tired or something. I don't think it is spyware I remember Win95 and 98 you were supposed to reinstall after a few months, right? Is it crud like Adobe, QuickTime, Divx, Nero, or some sort of a file system that XP uses to watch all my folders "just-in-case" I might need them?

And thank you for taking the time to help. It is appreciated.