[SOLVED] Dumb Question about 6+2 Pin PCIe Connector

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Looking at my PSU's 6+2 pin PCIe connector I see 6 (+) wires/pins and 6 (-) wires/pins for use as a 75W 6-pin connector. I also see 2 more (-) wires/pins that somehow allow it to become a 150W 8-pin connector. How does adding two more ground wires alone increase its capacity to 150W ?

Solution
Fun fact, it doesn't.

The extra two pins are simply there to let the system know that an 8-pin cable is connected and add an extra ground. The 6-pin part carries 3 12V wires and 2 grounds and a sensor.

6-pin cables only have 2 12V wires, 2 grounds and a sensor. 5 wires. The 6th is optional for 75W, and mandatory for 150W.

(Really though more like 60W per wire, there is a lot of wiggle room depending on the wire gauge as well)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Fun fact, it doesn't.

The extra two pins are simply there to let the system know that an 8-pin cable is connected and add an extra ground. The 6-pin part carries 3 12V wires and 2 grounds and a sensor.

6-pin cables only have 2 12V wires, 2 grounds and a sensor. 5 wires. The 6th is optional for 75W, and mandatory for 150W.

(Really though more like 60W per wire, there is a lot of wiggle room depending on the wire gauge as well)

Last edited:
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
24 awg is common on low end units if I recall correctly. 22 and 20 is what you find on higher end units, particularly ones that bundle multiple PCIe connectors on a single cable. And power supplies that offer longer than average length will step up a gauge to reduce voltage drop.

No standard, it varies by the design and expected loads.