[SOLVED] Dumb question about RAM.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hear me out, I understand you would want the same RAM with the same ghtz and manufacture preferably. But my friend is getting a new PC and he asked if I wanted his old RAM. I currently only have 2, 4 GBs of HyperX DDR3 RAM 1600 my only problem is, I dont exactly know if he gives me is DD3 RAM is that going to cause problems? They are also 2 sticks of 4 GB RAM but its "G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) " is it ok to put that in my PC with my current RAM? Or should I just say no and then go buy 2 8GB sticks to get 16 GBs of RAM with my Amazon Giftcard.

Solution
Even mixing 2 kits of the same make and model is not guaranteed to work, it is best to use only RAM from a single matched kit. Often it does work but it is possible to have issues. Using different brands/models increases the chance of issues but again it can work if lucky. If your friend will let you try before you buy that would be the best option.
Even mixing 2 kits of the same make and model is not guaranteed to work, it is best to use only RAM from a single matched kit. Often it does work but it is possible to have issues. Using different brands/models increases the chance of issues but again it can work if lucky. If your friend will let you try before you buy that would be the best option.

Solution

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Very true, sounds like a plan to me. Thank you!