[SOLVED] Dumb question from a beginner.

Oct 19, 2020
Hi all I am new to building PC's and this forum so bear with me! I recently bought an MSI X470 Motherboard with an AM4 socket and paired it with a Ryzen 5 3600. Screen is going black upon start up. The graphics card is a MSI Radeon 570 and was in a different build working fine. It seems like the motherboard is getting power but nothing appears on the monitor upon start up. I started looking over everything and the mother board has three pins bent on an unused USB 3.0 connection. Could that be causing any issues? Any help is much appreciated and if if you would like more info please ask!

Aug 22, 2020
Usb doesnt matter at all. At least not for startup. Make sure your ram is fully inserted and locked into place. Also make sure you used sockets 2 and 4 for 2 sticks and all 4 if you have 4 sticks. Usually incorrect ram placement or mismatched ram can cause some issues.

Reactions: Keenanbrum
Oct 19, 2020
Usb doesnt matter at all. At least not for startup. Make sure your ram is fully inserted and locked into place. Also make sure you used sockets 2 and 4 for 2 sticks and all 4 if you have 4 sticks. Usually incorrect ram placement or mismatched ram can cause some issues.
I have the ram in slots 2 and four.. I have also tried a different HDMI cable but nothing seems to be working at all. I don't think any of the other components could cause this right?

USAFRet

Titan
Start here:

But...if those bent pins are touching each other, it may be grounding out when it shouldn't.

Aug 22, 2020
I have the ram in slots 2 and four.. I have also tried a different HDMI cable but nothing seems to be working at all. I don't think any of the other components could cause this right?
Try Displayport or DVI and see if that does anything diffrent. Or if if your monitor supports it use VGA. Sometimes the pins on the HDMI port get loose and dont connect but that takes a while.

Oct 19, 2020
Start here:

But...if those bent pins are touching each other, it may be grounding out when it shouldn't.
I am taking it apart again to see what those pins are touching. I do not think they are touching each other, but I have been wrong before haha

Hi all I am new to building PC's and this forum so bear with me! I recently bought an MSI X470 Motherboard with an AM4 socket and paired it with a Ryzen 5 3600. Screen is going black upon start up. The graphics card is a MSI Radeon 570 and was in a different build working fine. It seems like the motherboard is getting power but nothing appears on the monitor upon start up. I started looking over everything and the mother board has three pins bent on an unused USB 3.0 connection. Could that be causing any issues? Any help is much appreciated and if if you would like more info please ask!

Was this a "MAX" MSI mobo?
Which model exactly?

If it wasn't a MAX model you may have an older BIOS installed that wont recognize the Ryzen 3000 series (There are still older stocks around the world, so depending where you are you may have gotten a motherboard that could need a BIOS upgrade to recopgnize the Ryzen5 3600.

Oct 19, 2020
Was this a "MAX" MSI mobo?
Which model exactly?

If it wasn't a MAX model you may have an older BIOS installed that wont recognize the Ryzen 3000 series (There are still older stocks around the world, so depending where you are you may have gotten a motherboard that could need a BIOS upgrade to recopgnize the Ryzen5 3600.
It is a X470 Gaming Plus Motherboard from MSI. It is built for AMD as well.

Oct 19, 2020
tech support you see all kinds of things. and some times its the simple things. solved 1 or 2 on here when they forget to check the obvios.
im dumb. Found out online out of the box they tend to not support the cpu I have. The question now is, how do i update that motherboard and would that be the issue with no image appearing?