Dumb question

Bob wrote:

> If I buy a DVD rom can I watch DVD's on my computer monitor that I
> rent from Blockbuster?

If you have the DVD codec, which I think Microsoft now provides via Windows
Update, yes.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:56:00 -0400, Ruel Smith <NoWay@NoWhere.com>
wrote:

>If you have the DVD codec, which I think Microsoft now provides via Windows
>Update, yes.

I haven't heard of Microsoft providing a free DVD codec. Any DVD drive
I've ever bought has come with a free player nayway. If not you can
buy a DVD codec to use with WMP9/10 for $14.95 here.

http://www.intervideo.com/media_pack/jsp/Product_Profile.jsp?p=DVDXPack&AID=10368670&PID=1423151

Philo

"Bob" <none@nonex.com> wrote in message
> If I buy a DVD rom can I watch DVD's on my computer monitor that I
> rent from Blockbuster?
>
> Thanks

yes

i occasionally rent a cd from blockbuster and watch it on my computer...
i don't even own a tv

You will ALSO have to buy a DVD software player.

--
DaveW

"Bob" <none@nonex.com> wrote in message
> If I buy a DVD rom can I watch DVD's on my computer monitor that I rent
> from Blockbuster?
>
> Thanks

I recently watched a feature length CD movie on my LCD moitor using Windows
Media Player (Widows XP with all the latest updates) when my Power DVD
program was acting up.

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Bob" <none@nonex.com> wrote in message
>> If I buy a DVD rom can I watch DVD's on my computer monitor that I
>> rent from Blockbuster?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> yes
>
> i occasionally rent a cd from blockbuster and watch it on my computer...
> i don't even own a tv

How do you watch a CD on the computer?
Are we talking coasters here?

DCA wrote:

> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Bob" <none@nonex.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>If I buy a DVD rom can I watch DVD's on my computer monitor that I
>>>rent from Blockbuster?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>yes
>>
>>i occasionally rent a cd from blockbuster and watch it on my computer...
>>i don't even own a tv
>>

> How do you watch a CD on the computer?

With your eyeballs aimed at the monitor, or whatever else you're using as a
video display device.

Andrew K <ajknb@adelphia.net> wrote:
> I recently watched a feature length CD movie on my LCD moitor using Windows
> Media Player (Widows XP with all the latest updates) when my Power DVD
> program was acting up.

It should be noted that MP does not come with the CODECs required to
watch DVD movies. Even though you weren't using the DVD program, you
were still using the libraries that came with it. If I was to buy a DVD
drive, I would make quite sure that it comes with a DVD player.

--j

DaveW wrote:
> You will ALSO have to buy a DVD software player.

Well, if you buy a retail DVD drive (and often with an OEM drive too) it
will come with DVD playing software - BUT this will almost certainly be
a limited version with some missing features. Most likely it will only
do stereo instead of 5.1 surround sound, for example.