[SOLVED] Dumbell hit table hard, now PC is artifacting and then shutting down. What could be wrong?

Nov 8, 2020
I recently started working out from home due to this covid mess and accidentally laid down my weights on the desk a bit hard. Almost immediately my screen lit up with checkerboard pattern artifacts and since then after some time using my PC whenever I knock my elbow on the table even lightly, such as to rest it the artifacting appears in differing patterns and sometimes restarts the computer completely. My PC specs are Intel i9 10900KA CPU, NVIDIA RTX2080ti GPU, ASUS TUF Z490 Gaming Motherboard with Wifi. I would've thought the GPU would be able to withstand more force than this, and I know its not an issue with monitor or HDMI as I've tried different setups. PC is Prebuilt by Centrecom Australia.

Solution
Turn the system off. Remove the graphics card. Check the "teeth" on the graphics card for any signs of galvanic corrosion or tarnishing. Clean the teeth with a normal #2 pencil eraser if necessary. Yes, an eraser will usually do a wonderful job getting tarnish off. You can finish wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol if you have it. Reinstall the graphics card.

Check both ends of the display cable to make sure it is FULLY seated AND that the thumbscrews are fully tightened. If that doesn't help, try a different display cable.

Also, make sure that the PCIe power connectors are fully seated in the graphics card AND the power supply. Reseat all connections. It's very doubtful that setting your dumbells on the desk caused any actual damage...
Turn the system off. Remove the graphics card. Check the "teeth" on the graphics card for any signs of galvanic corrosion or tarnishing. Clean the teeth with a normal #2 pencil eraser if necessary. Yes, an eraser will usually do a wonderful job getting tarnish off. You can finish wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol if you have it. Reinstall the graphics card.

Check both ends of the display cable to make sure it is FULLY seated AND that the thumbscrews are fully tightened. If that doesn't help, try a different display cable.

Also, make sure that the PCIe power connectors are fully seated in the graphics card AND the power supply. Reseat all connections. It's very doubtful that setting your dumbells on the desk caused any actual damage to the graphics card, but is very likely to have possibly jarred a loose connection partially free.

Solution
D

Deleted member 1560910

I would shut the computer off and go through the whole system and make sure everything is screwed down tight

Nov 8, 2020

Also, make sure that the PCIe power connectors are fully seated in the graphics card AND the power supply. Reseat all connections. It's very doubtful that setting your dumbells on the desk caused any actual damage to the graphics card, but is very likely to have possibly jarred a loose connection partially free.
Yep will give it a shot. A bit of a noob when it comes to hardware stuff, hence the pre-build, but want to avoid sending it back due to the complications of deliveries during COVID.