Question Dumbest move in computer history???

fdsarewq4321

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
i have a hp compaq elite 8100 sff desktop. it came with an nvidia nvs quadro 290 dedicated video card. the video card has (1) dms-59 video out (for use with a dual vga splitter).

I have been using just one of the vga's to my tv. the problem is, vga doesnt carry audio. i could just use an aux cable to my soundbar, but it would only be 2 channel, when i have multiple speakers with a sub. no problem, ill try that. then i see there is an onboard displayport. Great! now i will just use the displayport (with a displayport to hdmi cable) because display ports carry 5-channel audio. easier said than done.

i turn off cumputer, unplug the dms59 cable, plug in the displayport cable and turn on the computer. the computer boots fine, but no video. Well duh, my tv is still on the vga input. I switch the tv input to hdmi. Still no video. Well shucks.

Now im thinking since the computer has a video card connected, it automatically wants to look there for the video, instead of reverting to the onboard display port. so i turn off the computer, remove the nvidia card, then turn on the computer. it now wont boot, has a beeping noise, and has a red light on the front of the computer (instead of the normal green light).

Heres where the royal f-up occurs. i am now thinking that the bios is dictation that the video should be going through the nvidia card, so i must disable that pci slot.

i reconnect the nvidia card and boot to bios. i went to security, slot security, pci ecpress 16. I changed enabled to disabled. saved and reboot. now since the bios doesnt have the pci slot as an option, it must revert to the onboard displayport, right? Wrong!

It now boots like it did when i pulled the nvidia card. beeping, red light, and no booting.

I am now wishing i had been satisfied with using the computer as i always had, with the nvidia card vga'd to tv with no sound.

Is there anyway to re-enable the pci slot i disabled? did i just ruin my computer?? any help would be greatly appreciated

fdsarewq4321

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
Is there a protocol to follow for detailing "full system specs"? if there is any more needed, please let me know.

Windows 10

16gb ddr3 4x4 ram

Intel Core i7-870 Processor 2.93-GHz, 8M total cache 4 cores/8 threads Requires a discrete graphics solution Intel Core processor with vPro technology Intel Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP)

Can i pull the cmos battery for a few minutes in hopes it resets the bios with the pci express 16 slot enabled?

Last edited:

fdsarewq4321

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
Your not going to be able to get any graphics from your motherboard since you cpu has no igpu.

If you want display port with audio, you will need a aux+vga to dp active converter. You wi have to use the dms59 to vga adapter aswell.

Thank you for the assistance. Now after looking up the specs i see how the onboard is not an option. I just have the issue of not being able to boot up my computer to re-enable the pci ecpress 16 slot that i disabled. Can i pull the cmos battery for a few minutes to resolve this issue?

fdsarewq4321

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
Thank you. Last night, i pulled the battery, unplugged, and pressed the power button a few times to drain the battery. This morning, i replaced the battery, powered on, and still the same beeping. i am at a loss.

fdsarewq4321

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
Thank you. Last night, i pulled the battery, unplugged, and pressed the power button a few times to drain the battery. This morning, i replaced the battery, powered on, and still the same beeping. i am at a loss.

Update: when removing the battery didnt work, i held the cmos button for a few seconds. this brought me back up and running. thanks you for the help in troubleshooting.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX