In case anybody here is interested there's a demo of Dungeon
Lords out now.

Available at Fileplanet or 3dgamers and just over 300mbs

On 26 Mar 2005 09:50:31 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com>
wrote:

>In case anybody here is interested there's a demo of Dungeon
>Lords out now.
>
>Available at Fileplanet or 3dgamers and just over 300mbs

Anyone tried it ?

I liked the chracter creation, but it seems a bit 'rough' - I know
it's a demo, but I'm not willing to pre-order based on this. Combat
is very hard, with no feedback from the baddies, so I'm not sure I'm
hitting them until they actually die. The sound is weird, too, with
almost all sounds missing apart for a swishing noise when I swing my
sword.

Graphics are nice

Anyone got inside the city ? I've founf the way it, but have had 2
crashes, and haven't actually been inside yet.

Oh, and the automap doesn't seem to work for me.

If there's another demo out later then I'll try it again - if not,
it'll be yet another 'download and test' for it.

And what's with all the carrots ?

Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in

> Anyone tried it ?

Had a 10 minute play so far, jumped in with the pre-created
character.

> so I'm not sure I'm hitting them until they
> actually die.

It's either a bug or a character feature, I saw one creature
that was identified by 'type' and also displayed a hit point
bar, which was a bat, the other creatures that were tougher
had no identifier.

>The sound is weird, too, with almost all
> sounds missing apart for a swishing noise when I swing my
> sword.

As far as I can tell the sound works fine on mine, the sound
effects will be familiar to anybody who's played Wizards &
Warriors.

Got full speech with the character by the fire.

> Graphics are nice

Yep agree with that, although I'm sure people will complain
they aren't half-life 2 levels ;)

On 26 Mar 2005 17:18:04 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com>
wrote:

>Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in
>

>> Anyone tried it ?
>
>Had a 10 minute play so far, jumped in with the pre-created
>character.
>
>> so I'm not sure I'm hitting them until they
>> actually die.
>
>It's either a bug or a character feature, I saw one creature
>that was identified by 'type' and also displayed a hit point
>bar, which was a bat, the other creatures that were tougher
>had no identifier.

Turns out I was missing a lot :)

When you connect, you get a little bar at the bottom with the health
left - it's only up for a second, though.

>>The sound is weird, too, with almost all
>> sounds missing apart for a swishing noise when I swing my
>> sword.
>>
>As far as I can tell the sound works fine on mine, the sound
>effects will be familiar to anybody who's played Wizards &
>Warriors.
>
>Got full speech with the character by the fire.

The speech is fine, but nothing else.

And what's with all the carrots ?

Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:

> Combat
> is very hard, with no feedback from the baddies, so I'm not sure I'm
> hitting them until they actually die. The sound is weird, too, with
> almost all sounds missing apart for a swishing noise when I swing my
> sword.

Combat is hard. I think they need to tone down the difficulty of the
beginning area. I was swamped with bad guys before i could even talk to the
first NPC and I promptly died, didn't have a save, and now would need to
restart and recreate my character.

Sound was working ok for me but was the same as it was in the press demo
which is to say, kind of sparse and not all that creat (the wolf howl sound
doesn't sound anything like a wolf, etc).

Overall, it looks like they've made some improvements over the press demo,
but I'm not sure if they've got the balance worked out correctly yet.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:43:37 +0000, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:

>On 26 Mar 2005 09:50:31 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com>
>wrote:
>

>>In case anybody here is interested there's a demo of Dungeon
>>Lords out now.
>>
>>Available at Fileplanet or 3dgamers and just over 300mbs
>
>Anyone tried it ?
>
>I liked the chracter creation, but it seems a bit 'rough' - I know
>it's a demo, but I'm not willing to pre-order based on this. Combat
>is very hard, with no feedback from the baddies, so I'm not sure I'm
>hitting them until they actually die. The sound is weird, too, with
>almost all sounds missing apart for a swishing noise when I swing my
>sword.
>
>Graphics are nice
>
>Anyone got inside the city ? I've founf the way it, but have had 2
>crashes, and haven't actually been inside yet.
>
>Oh, and the automap doesn't seem to work for me.
>
>If there's another demo out later then I'll try it again - if not,
>it'll be yet another 'download and test' for it.

I'm about to start downloading it. Hope this doesn't turn into another bug
festival like Wizards & Warriors.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:17:49 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:43:37 +0000, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>On 26 Mar 2005 09:50:31 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>In case anybody here is interested there's a demo of Dungeon
>>>Lords out now.
>>>
>>>Available at Fileplanet or 3dgamers and just over 300mbs
>>
>>Anyone tried it ?
>>
>>I liked the chracter creation, but it seems a bit 'rough' - I know
>>it's a demo, but I'm not willing to pre-order based on this. Combat
>>is very hard, with no feedback from the baddies, so I'm not sure I'm
>>hitting them until they actually die. The sound is weird, too, with
>>almost all sounds missing apart for a swishing noise when I swing my
>>sword.
>>
>>Graphics are nice
>>
>>Anyone got inside the city ? I've founf the way it, but have had 2
>>crashes, and haven't actually been inside yet.
>>
>>Oh, and the automap doesn't seem to work for me.
>>
>>If there's another demo out later then I'll try it again - if not,
>>it'll be yet another 'download and test' for it.
>
>I'm about to start downloading it. Hope this doesn't turn into another bug
>festival like Wizards & Warriors.

If you haven't got it yet try here:

http://www.fragland.be/downloads.php?id=14562

Avoid the vile Fileplanet and other similar site. <spit>

Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:

> Combat
> is very hard, with no feedback from the baddies

There is definitely feedback. You see a splurt of blood when you hit them,
and they have a health meter that pops up for a few seconds to show you how
healthy they are.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:

> You can hit 'R' and revive your character - s/he gets back up with
> full health. In the full game, I think, when you revivie it costs you
> something - gold or xp are most likely.

I had really hoped that the "easy-ressurect" thing was just a cheat code
for the press release, I can't believe they're balancing the game based on
having that feature. I mean, what is the challenge to a game where you can
instantly ressurect yourself when you die? Even if the penalty is gold or
xp that's no real penalty, because they have random gold and xp drops so
just kill a few more badies to make up for any losses. This may be a deal
breaker for me, it just isn't much of a challenge if you can never 'fail'
in the game.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:36:28 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

<snip>

>If you haven't got it yet try here:
>
>http://www.fragland.be/downloads.php?id=14562
>
>Avoid the vile Fileplanet and other similar site. <spit>

I got it from Fileplanet - I can afford the few dollars a month, so no
waiting. :p

On 27 Mar 2005 15:35:33 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Combat
>> is very hard, with no feedback from the baddies
>
>There is definitely feedback. You see a splurt of blood when you hit them,
>and they have a health meter that pops up for a few seconds to show you how
>healthy they are.

Yeah, I found it later - I was just missing a loit. :D

After getting further in, I'm still uncertain as to whether it's worth
buying. I'll wait for a second demo, or will get the warez version
and see if it's worth buying.

And what's with all the carrots ?

christopher

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003

1) the ruins make a sort of sanctuary -- only missiles seem able to get
to you. good enough to sort things out.
2) can't hot key potions?
3) why does a numb-nutz warrior with zero magic skills start out with
gobs of magic? are these scrolls that are used up or recharge or what?
I think I picked up a fireball, so I am guessing scrolls
4) my sticky-keys keep coming on after I have 'disabled' them by
unchecking the boxes. gotta remember to reassign the action key.
5) is there a way to make the guy semi-transparent so you can see
what's coming at him? AIT AIW Radeon 7500, and he is completely solid,
but it a monster attacks from behind (as you run away) it is
semi-transparent.
6) can you turn with the keyboard? I have a great deal of trouble
getting the blighter to turn and move and strike. I keep getting to
the edge of the mouse pad . . .

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:48:55 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:

>On 27 Mar 2005 15:35:33 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>
>>Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:
>>
>>> Combat
>>> is very hard, with no feedback from the baddies
>>
>>There is definitely feedback. You see a splurt of blood when you hit them,
>>and they have a health meter that pops up for a few seconds to show you how
>>healthy they are.
>
>Yeah, I found it later - I was just missing a loit. :D
>
>After getting further in, I'm still uncertain as to whether it's worth
>buying. I'll wait for a second demo, or will get the warez version
>and see if it's worth buying.

I think I'll be getting it. Having fun with it so far. Nice in that you pick
your character type at the start but you aren't locked to it at all and can
mix and match skills. I tried making a thief and got 6 points in Ninjitsu! He
was kicking arse even without weapons. Great stuff.

On 27 Mar 2005 15:39:05 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> You can hit 'R' and revive your character - s/he gets back up with
>> full health. In the full game, I think, when you revivie it costs you
>> something - gold or xp are most likely.
>
>I had really hoped that the "easy-ressurect" thing was just a cheat code
>for the press release, I can't believe they're balancing the game based on
>having that feature. I mean, what is the challenge to a game where you can
>instantly ressurect yourself when you die? Even if the penalty is gold or
>xp that's no real penalty, because they have random gold and xp drops so
>just kill a few more badies to make up for any losses. This may be a deal
>breaker for me, it just isn't much of a challenge if you can never 'fail'
>in the game.

True, but it will get annoying after a while. I would imagine the XP and gold
hit will be quite high as you go on. I managed to get to level 9, and then
needed 255,000 odd XP for 10 and gave up!! ;-)

On 27 Mar 2005 15:35:33 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Combat
>> is very hard, with no feedback from the baddies
>
>There is definitely feedback. You see a splurt of blood when you hit them,
>and they have a health meter that pops up for a few seconds to show you how
>healthy they are.

Any idea what the number in the bar means? I saw some cases where the number
would vary, even on the same creature I think.

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in

> Any idea what the number in the bar means? I saw some cases
> where the number would vary, even on the same creature I
> think.

It's the amount of damage you're doing, try using a magic
missile on something, then a fireball and you'll see the
difference.

The bar is the indicator of how many HP they have left.

christopher

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003

>Yes you can. Hightlight them and press the number you want them to
appear as.
how? if i click it it gets drunk, if i point and hit # nothing happens
.. . .
> >can you turn with the keyboard?
>You can but it is very slow.
How? there is no keyboard command showing. I am old-school and I
really hate walking with a mouse -- there is no getting used to it
after 30 years

On 28 Mar 2005 08:58:01 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in
>

>> Any idea what the number in the bar means? I saw some cases
>> where the number would vary, even on the same creature I
>> think.
>>

>It's the amount of damage you're doing, try using a magic
>missile on something, then a fireball and you'll see the
>difference.
>
>The bar is the indicator of how many HP they have left.

I realised what the bar was but was unsure about the number. Thanks.

On 28 Mar 2005 01:21:19 -0800, christopher@dailycrossword.com wrote:

>1) the ruins make a sort of sanctuary -- only missiles seem able to get
>to you. good enough to sort things out.

Yep. And the two huts further out in the woods.

>2) can't hot key potions?

Yes you can. Hightlight them and press the number you want them to appear as.

>3) why does a numb-nutz warrior with zero magic skills start out with
>gobs of magic? are these scrolls that are used up or recharge or what?
> I think I picked up a fireball, so I am guessing scrolls

Its a demo. I don't believe in the full game you will start with anything.

>4) my sticky-keys keep coming on after I have 'disabled' them by
>unchecking the boxes. gotta remember to reassign the action key.

Can't help you there as I turned mine off ages ago.

>5) is there a way to make the guy semi-transparent so you can see
>what's coming at him? AIT AIW Radeon 7500, and he is completely solid,
>but it a monster attacks from behind (as you run away) it is
>semi-transparent.
>6) can you turn with the keyboard? I have a great deal of trouble
>getting the blighter to turn and move and strike. I keep getting to
>the edge of the mouse pad . . .

You can but it is very slow. I would suggest getting used to the mouse
controls as you will die less than with the keyboard. Try altering the
sensitivity of the mouse. You can do this in game.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:34:34 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:48:55 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>On 27 Mar 2005 15:35:33 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:

>>>There is definitely feedback. You see a splurt of blood when you hit them,
>>>and they have a health meter that pops up for a few seconds to show you how
>>>healthy they are.
>>
>>Yeah, I found it later - I was just missing a loit. :D
>>
>>After getting further in, I'm still uncertain as to whether it's worth
>>buying. I'll wait for a second demo, or will get the warez version
>>and see if it's worth buying.
>
>I think I'll be getting it. Having fun with it so far. Nice in that you pick
>your character type at the start but you aren't locked to it at all and can
>mix and match skills. I tried making a thief and got 6 points in Ninjitsu! He
>was kicking arse even without weapons. Great stuff.

Any idea how you unlock new skills ? Medium armour, etc ?

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:34:19 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:34:34 GMT, Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>>Yeah, I found it later - I was just missing a loit. :D
>>>
>>>After getting further in, I'm still uncertain as to whether it's worth
>>>buying. I'll wait for a second demo, or will get the warez version
>>>and see if it's worth buying.
>>
>>I think I'll be getting it. Having fun with it so far. Nice in that you pick
>>your character type at the start but you aren't locked to it at all and can
>>mix and match skills. I tried making a thief and got 6 points in Ninjitsu! He
>>was kicking arse even without weapons. Great stuff.
>
>Any idea how you unlock new skills ? Medium armour, etc ?

Get three points in a skill and the next one becomes available.

On 28 Mar 2005 01:21:19 -0800, christopher@dailycrossword.com wrote:

>3) why does a numb-nutz warrior with zero magic skills start out with
>gobs of magic? are these scrolls that are used up or recharge or what?
> I think I picked up a fireball, so I am guessing scrolls

There are 4 types of magic - the mage class uses the scrolls you find,
runology uses a number of runes, etc.

The qualtity of speells aren't indicitive of the full game, though, as
they wanted all classes to see what magic is like. I imagine that in
the full game, adding points to the magic skills unlocks new
abilities, and you'll have to find/buy the components. In the demo,
you just get given a bunch of stuff to play with.

And what's with all the carrots ?

christopher

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003

Cool -- the hover <1> does work -- I must have been pressing <F1>. I
will try the 4& 6 combos

I finished the demo and restarted it again. never found the daughter
-- flippin huge demo, too. The game grew on me, even though I usually
don't like first person. As a rarity this one hardly made me dizzy at
all.

I really enjoyed the skills tree, especially how you can improve them
as you go, not just when you level. Loved the penalty system. Could
be a lot deeper, tho -- more specialized and sub-specialized.
Exclusivity would be nice -- an expert bowman shouldn't have the
musculature of a bludgener. Visuals were especially good since the
auto-map didn't work. With the variety I was rarely lost. Liked the
toys and the locks.

Combat was surprisingly involved -- all about initiative and recoil and
recovery. Stepping back, gaining the initiative, moving to gain
advantage. Loved the hacking cough.

Gripes: hero should be semi-transparent. Magic seems all combat
oriented. Hate the camera (but I'm *old* and never played Zelda) (Or
Tomb Raider)

Will I pay full price? I rarely do. Civ III, Sim City 4 (mistake) ,
Galactic Imperium, Dominions II, Rome: Total War (mistake) spanning
what, 3 years? I can't imagine paying $50, but I might pay $30.

Cheers!

On 28 Mar 2005 11:56:33 -0800, christopher@dailycrossword.com wrote:

>>Yes you can. Hightlight them and press the number you want them to
>appear as.
>how? if i click it it gets drunk, if i point and hit # nothing happens

Strange. I put a health potion on the bar by hovering the mouse over its icon
on the potions screen and pressing 1.

>. . .
>> >can you turn with the keyboard?
>>You can but it is very slow.
>How? there is no keyboard command showing. I am old-school and I
>really hate walking with a mouse -- there is no getting used to it
>after 30 years

I didn't configure the keys for movement but I found by accident that pressing
4 and 6 on the numeric keypad turned left and right respectively.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:57:31 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:34:19 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:34:34 GMT, Memnoch
>><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>>I think I'll be getting it. Having fun with it so far. Nice in that you pick
>>>your character type at the start but you aren't locked to it at all and can
>>>mix and match skills. I tried making a thief and got 6 points in Ninjitsu! He
>>>was kicking arse even without weapons. Great stuff.
>>
>>Any idea how you unlock new skills ? Medium armour, etc ?
>
>Get three points in a skill and the next one becomes available.

Ah, thanks - apparently I only point points into skill that led
nowhere...

And what's with all the carrots ?