Dungeon Lords Preview

I just finished up my Dungeon Lords Preview for www.gamechronicles.com.
It's not up yet, I'll post again when it is. However, I thought if you have
any specific questions about this title, I am in a pretty good position to
be able to answer them.

My summary is: It's going to be a pretty damn good action/RPG, emphasis on
the action. The melee system is pretty damn slick. You are going to need
some twitch skills to succeed at this game, though. There are a lot of RPG
elements in it, however, the character advancement system is very cool, and
there seems to be a decent story and quests and such like a typical RPG.
The magic system is probably the game's best feature, which offers 4
completely different styles of magic.

--

Knight37

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-23, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

> I just finished up my Dungeon Lords Preview for www.gamechronicles.com.
> It's not up yet, I'll post again when it is. However, I thought if you have
> any specific questions about this title, I am in a pretty good position to
> be able to answer them.

Well I just checked out their preview of MxO and I'm pretty
amazed the previewer gave it such praise. MxO has been begging
for beta testers because apparently it's more fun to poke a
needle in your eye.

> My summary is: It's going to be a pretty damn good action/RPG, emphasis on
> the action. The melee system is pretty damn slick. You are going to need
> some twitch skills to succeed at this game, though. There are a lot of RPG
> elements in it, however, the character advancement system is very cool, and
> there seems to be a decent story and quests and such like a typical RPG.
> The magic system is probably the game's best feature, which offers 4
> completely different styles of magic.

Too bad about the twitch skills.

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:

> I just finished up my Dungeon Lords Preview for
> www.gamechronicles.com. It's not up yet, I'll post again when it is.
> However, I thought if you have any specific questions about this
> title, I am in a pretty good position to be able to answer them.

http://www.gamechronicles.com/previews/pc/dungeonlords/dungeonlords.htm

That's the full preview. It's semi-longish, I went into more detail than
some of the other sites have.

Let me know what you think about it and also if you have any questions
about the game that preview doesn't answer.

--

Knight37

On 25 Feb 2005 07:03:40 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> I just finished up my Dungeon Lords Preview for
>> www.gamechronicles.com. It's not up yet, I'll post again when it is.
>> However, I thought if you have any specific questions about this
>> title, I am in a pretty good position to be able to answer them.
>
>http://www.gamechronicles.com/previews/pc/dungeonlords/dungeonlords.htm
>
>That's the full preview. It's semi-longish, I went into more detail than
>some of the other sites have.
>
>Let me know what you think about it and also if you have any questions
>about the game that preview doesn't answer.

I wanted to thank you specifically for that preview.

I have a problem with many previews as they don't detail the work to
be done in too many cases, just glossing over issues because ... well,
because it isn't done yet.

I am hoping that DreamCatcher / Heuristic Park / DWBradley read it and
take it to heart ... I am hopeful for a very good game in Dungeon
Lords, and I hope that in some rush to hit a date they don't lose
sight of releasing a quality game.

Mike

On 25 Feb 2005 06:02:55 -0800, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:

>so is it a diablo clone?

Did you read the article?

It actually looks more like Gothic, but with a Jedi Knight II / Blade
of Darkness style combat system, and a pretty unique skill system, and
a 'keyword' dialogue system.

Mike

can't read the article, at office behind a firewall (that lets me read
dejanews at least)

wolfing1@yahoo.com once tried to test me with:

> so is it a diablo clone?

It is nothing like Diablo, actually.

It is essentially a third-person behind-the-shoulder action game, similar
to say, hmm... well there aren't a lot like it on the PC anyway. But it has
strong RPG elements to it. It's definitely action-oriented. You use your
mouse and keyboard in real-time to fight multiple creatures in real-time
and you have different moves you can make with combinations of key+mouse,
etc. You have ranged attacks and also melee. The ranged attack have some
kind of auto-aiming which I didn't mention in the article but this kind of
irked me a bit (I'd prefer to have had a aim-cursor with no auto-aiming,
but I'm comfortable with action games). Most of the skills in the game
directly relate to your combat abilities. A few relate to
traps/locks/sneaking/etc. And some for other stuff but at least 90% of the
skills are for combat.

The game has a decent story from what I can gleem so far.

Hopefully you can read the article.

--

Knight37

Michael Anderson <txa1265@spymac.com> once tried to test me with:

> On 25 Feb 2005 06:02:55 -0800, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>so is it a diablo clone?
>
> Did you read the article?
>
> It actually looks more like Gothic, but with a Jedi Knight II / Blade
> of Darkness style combat system, and a pretty unique skill system, and
> a 'keyword' dialogue system.

Blade of Darkness is a good thing to compare it to.

Gothic, not so much, there isn't the depth of game world (at least not as I
can tell) like Gothic has, with the multiple, non-linear questing and NPcs
with their own schedules, etc. Gothic has action-elements but essentially
it's mostly a story-oriented RPG, whereas Dungeon Lords is primarily
action, and with RPG elements but most of those elements exist to support
the action. I'm expecting a good story, but I expect the game to be 90%
combat or so.

--

Knight37