Dungeon Siege 2: Can it be soloed?

Is the game going to be too hard with just the main character and a
pet? I never cared much for parties in action RPGs.

Uzytkownik "Mike S." <mike@nowhere.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> Is the game going to be too hard with just the main character and a
> pet? I never cared much for parties in action RPGs.

Hm, I'm in Act2 right now and it would be quite difficult to solo it DS2 up
to this point. However, it can be done if played smart, but defienetely will
be much, much more tedious and probably not that much fun. Feel warned :)

M.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:31:42 +0200, "Mandella"
<raggnarok@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

>Hm, I'm in Act2 right now and it would be quite difficult to solo it DS2 up
>to this point. However, it can be done if played smart, but defienetely will
>be much, much more tedious and probably not that much fun. Feel warned :)

Heh. I am going to assume that they designed the areas with the
assumption that you will be taking the max number of party members
along. But I asked anyway because DS1 was soloable. Thanks for the
quick response. Has anyone actually tried?

Mandella wrote:
> Uzytkownik "Mike S." <mike@nowhere.com> napisal w wiadomosci
>> Is the game going to be too hard with just the main character and a
>> pet? I never cared much for parties in action RPGs.
>
> Hm, I'm in Act2 right now and it would be quite difficult to solo it
> DS2 up to this point. However, it can be done if played smart, but
> defienetely will be much, much more tedious and probably not that
> much fun. Feel warned :)
>
> M.

Is the ability to map movement to the WASD keys added since the demo? Or
the ability to change the interface font size?
--
chainbreaker

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Is the ability to map movement to the WASD keys added since the demo? Or
> the ability to change the interface font size?

Nope. The best you can do is map a key or mouse button to the Move command
(move to curosr).
Nope; no ability to change the interface at all.

Nordic Wally wrote:
> "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Is the ability to map movement to the WASD keys added since the
>> demo? Or the ability to change the interface font size?
>
> Nope. The best you can do is map a key or mouse button to the Move
> command (move to curosr).
> Nope; no ability to change the interface at all.

Bah.

Oh, well--thanks.

--
chainbreaker

U¿ytkownik "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> Mandella wrote:
> > Uzytkownik "Mike S." <mike@nowhere.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> >> Is the game going to be too hard with just the main character and a
> >> pet? I never cared much for parties in action RPGs.
> >
> > Hm, I'm in Act2 right now and it would be quite difficult to solo it
> > DS2 up to this point. However, it can be done if played smart, but
> > defienetely will be much, much more tedious and probably not that
> > much fun. Feel warned :)
> >
> > M.
>
> Is the ability to map movement to the WASD keys added since the demo? Or
> the ability to change the interface font size?
> --
> chainbreaker

Not sure. No.

M.

Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> once tried to test me with:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:31:42 +0200, "Mandella"
><raggnarok@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
>
>>Hm, I'm in Act2 right now and it would be quite difficult to solo it
>>DS2 up to this point. However, it can be done if played smart, but
>>defienetely will be much, much more tedious and probably not that much
>>fun. Feel warned :)
>
> Heh. I am going to assume that they designed the areas with the
> assumption that you will be taking the max number of party members
> along. But I asked anyway because DS1 was soloable. Thanks for the
> quick response. Has anyone actually tried?

I had soloed about 2/3 of the demo as a melee type and while it wasn't easy
it was certainly possible. Slower going than with a party, but I didn't
even have a pet and pets are supposed to be very useful. I doubt anyone has
yet soloed the entire campaign so maybe you can be the first.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On 21 Aug 2005 02:16:52 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:31:42 +0200, "Mandella"
>><raggnarok@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
>>
>>>Hm, I'm in Act2 right now and it would be quite difficult to solo it
>>>DS2 up to this point. However, it can be done if played smart, but
>>>defienetely will be much, much more tedious and probably not that much
>>>fun. Feel warned :)
>>
>> Heh. I am going to assume that they designed the areas with the
>> assumption that you will be taking the max number of party members
>> along. But I asked anyway because DS1 was soloable. Thanks for the
>> quick response. Has anyone actually tried?
>
>I had soloed about 2/3 of the demo as a melee type and while it wasn't easy
>it was certainly possible. Slower going than with a party, but I didn't
>even have a pet and pets are supposed to be very useful. I doubt anyone has
>yet soloed the entire campaign so maybe you can be the first.

The theory being that soloing will mean levelling faster but sooner or later
you will face an enemy, and probably a whole swarm of them, that requires one
of the other classes to do well against them.

On 21 Aug 2005 02:16:52 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>I had soloed about 2/3 of the demo as a melee type and while it wasn't easy
>it was certainly possible. Slower going than with a party, but I didn't
>even have a pet and pets are supposed to be very useful. I doubt anyone has
>yet soloed the entire campaign so maybe you can be the first.

Someone already finished the game solo in one of the DS2 forums.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:39:18 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>The theory being that soloing will mean levelling faster

This is not true in DS2. Or at least I do not think it is. Apparently,
experience is not shared. It is simply the same amount given to
everyone. At the end of the campaign, one character will be the same
level as a party of four. Or so I have read. I did a bit of testing
and it does seem to be true. I am playing a solo character in one
game, and I played another game for awhile where I was partied with
Deru the Ranger. At the same point in both games, my experience was
almost exactly the same. I solo because I just like it better that
way. :p

>but sooner or later
>you will face an enemy, and probably a whole swarm of them, that requires one
>of the other classes to do well against them.

So far I am doing ok with my melee guy. But I haven't gotten very far
into the game yet. If the game gets too hard, I will get a pet. I
don't think I need to get the pet right away as he will always be the
same level as me anyway. I will need items to improve him however, so
I am keeping some good items that I don't need in storage. It isn't
like I need that storage for anything else at the moment. :p

Choykw wrote:
> The down side of solo, is you might not be able to open all the sanctuaries,
> so missing some nice loot.

Yeah, but it will be loot for a different "class" so is that really all
that important?

Knight37

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:05:57 -0400, Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:39:18 GMT, Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>The theory being that soloing will mean levelling faster
>
>This is not true in DS2. Or at least I do not think it is. Apparently,
>experience is not shared. It is simply the same amount given to
>everyone.
Experience yes, but your skills go up when used. Meaning that someone that
killed all the enemies himself through the campaign would have a higher total
skill than if you went through with four or more.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:37:36 -0400, Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On 21 Aug 2005 02:16:52 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I had soloed about 2/3 of the demo as a melee type and while it wasn't easy
>>it was certainly possible. Slower going than with a party, but I didn't
>>even have a pet and pets are supposed to be very useful. I doubt anyone has
>>yet soloed the entire campaign so maybe you can be the first.
>
>Someone already finished the game solo in one of the DS2 forums.

Wow. Wonder how big his cock is? ;-)

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:37:36 -0400, Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>On 21 Aug 2005 02:16:52 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I had soloed about 2/3 of the demo as a melee type and while it wasn't easy
>>>it was certainly possible. Slower going than with a party, but I didn't
>>>even have a pet and pets are supposed to be very useful. I doubt anyone has
>>>yet soloed the entire campaign so maybe you can be the first.
>>
>>Someone already finished the game solo in one of the DS2 forums.
>
>Wow. Wonder how big his cock is? ;-)

What's the difference if he never gets to use it?

-David

KAOS

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:44:26 -0700, David Bilek <dtbilek@comcast.net>
dared speak in front of ME:

>Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>>Someone already finished the game solo in one of the DS2 forums.
>>
>>Wow. Wonder how big his cock is? ;-)
>
>What's the difference if he never gets to use it?

Perhaps Memnoch wishes to offer him the opportunity?

--
The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out
the conservative adopts them.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:44:26 -0700, David Bilek <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote:

>Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>>Someone already finished the game solo in one of the DS2 forums.
>>
>>Wow. Wonder how big his cock is? ;-)
>
>What's the difference if he never gets to use it?

:)

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Choykw wrote:
>> The down side of solo, is you might not be able to open all the sanctuaries,
>> so missing some nice loot.
>
>Yeah, but it will be loot for a different "class" so is that really all
>that important?

Maybe not in the loot sense of "stuff I can use", but surely it will
matter in the other loot category of "stuff I can sell in order to buy
stuff I can use".

Personally I _hate_ leaving stuff behind in rpgs, whether semi-valuable
stuff I have no room for, or stuff behind locks.

I play a scorched earth game in regards to stuff in most games; I'd
take and pawn the trees, grass and rocks if it was possible, just so i'd
have enough cash to buy the nifty item that is sure to show up in a
store at some point, usually costing more cash than I have and
disappearing by the time I do have the cash.

Xocyll

Well, yes, knowing there is a treasure chest containing good loot that I
couldn't open, that thought alone could dampen my sense of perfect
completion...

Also, I always tried to balance melee and magic (I did that in DS1) though
in the DS2 demo they keep emphasising about concentrating on one skill tree,
I'm still trying to see how, brancing to other skill trees will screw my
char...;)

Lycenae wrote:
> I'm not sure it works that way, Knight37. Please correct me if I'm
> wrong, but:
>
> You can level-up in the 4 skill areas relatively independently of
> character level. I currently do this so that I can equip good items
> from the other classes from my main one, if I so choose. (Plus, I like
> the variety of play styles if I'm soloing). For instance, if I'm
> playing as a combat mage, I try to have a whole bunch of levels in
> nature magic so that I can cast some minor buffing spells in my
> autocast slots while my nature mage (Deru or Taar) is concentrating on
> healing spells in her autocast slots. Works well, and I don't have to
> spend skill points in nature magic to cast moderate-level nature
> spells.
>
> As I understand it, the reason you are encouraged to concentrate is
> that you get one skill point per *character* level. If you break-up
> your skill points between skill trees, you end-up hosing yourself
> because the killer powers really require some devotion of your points
> to one branch of a tree.

Yes but the skills on the skill tree require a base level on your main
skill. So if you're level 12 combat mage, you will open up skills on
the tree under the combat magic section. But if you're 6/6 melee/combat
mage, you won't have access to the level 12 combat mage skills.

> Its ok to level up a bit in your off-classes
> for access to items, just make sure you concentrate your skill points
> in one branch of a single tree so that your powers kick ass.

Ok, either you are not spending all of your skill points as you aquire
them, or you're going to end up with a bunch of points spent on the low
level powers in the skill tree and not on the higher level ones.

> You can
> redo some areas with lower-level enemies to level-up your off-classes.

Yeah, I hadn't really thought about that, but isn't that kind of
tedious? You're talking about adding a lot of monotonous play time and
I'm not sure the payoff is all that wonderful. Is a 10/10/10/10
character really that much more competent than an 10 character? I guess
if your soloing maybe it would be depending on whether or not certain
types of critters are more or less susceptible to different kinds of
attacks. But if you're going with a standard 4-color party, I don't see
much advantage.

Which reminds me, is there a combat mage for hire in the first town?
Because so far I haven't found him so I've got two nature-mage
followers now and I just finished the quest to go to the dryad exiles
camp. Most of my crew is level 11 or 12 with the extra nature mage at
level 8 or 9.

> However, if your character level increases, make sure you spend the
> skill point in your main tree, whatever that is.

Maybe that's what I don't understand. WHEN does your character level
increase? Is a 5/5 melee/combatmagic character a level 5 character or a
level 10 character?

> Does that make sense? I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the DS2
> class/skill/tree system. Damn fun game.

I don't think it has near the depth of D2LOD but it's certainly better
than DS1 by a mile or two.

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>Yes but the skills on the skill tree require a base level on your main
>skill. So if you're level 12 combat mage, you will open up skills on
>the tree under the combat magic section. But if you're 6/6 melee/combat
>mage, you won't have access to the level 12 combat mage skills.

Is the experience exponential, like in D&D? Where it goes:
level 1 - 100xp
level 2 - 200xp
level 3 - 400xp
level 4 - 800xp
level 5 - 1600xp
more or less, until it plateaus. Because in these situations, going
from 9->10 in your main discipline costs as much as going 1->9 in a
subdiscipline. And going 33->34 in main costs as much as going 1->33
in another.

If DS2 is like this then you shouldn't compare 12 vs 6/6; you should
instead compare 12 vs 11/10.

--
Lucian

Lucian Wischik wrote:
> "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Yes but the skills on the skill tree require a base level on your main
> >skill. So if you're level 12 combat mage, you will open up skills on
> >the tree under the combat magic section. But if you're 6/6 melee/combat
> >mage, you won't have access to the level 12 combat mage skills.
>
> Is the experience exponential, like in D&D? Where it goes:

I don't think it's much like D&D.

> level 1 - 100xp
> level 2 - 200xp
> level 3 - 400xp
> level 4 - 800xp
> level 5 - 1600xp
> more or less, until it plateaus. Because in these situations, going
> from 9->10 in your main discipline costs as much as going 1->9 in a
> subdiscipline. And going 33->34 in main costs as much as going 1->33
> in another.

You don't spend experience points to go up in levels, you use whatever
skill you want to use and it goes up through use. Killing things is
what gives you the skill ups.

> If DS2 is like this then you shouldn't compare 12 vs 6/6; you should
> instead compare 12 vs 11/10.

I'm thinking that a character who spends 3 hours of play time ends up
around level 8, but if you're spliting your classes then I bet you end
up with about level 4/4 or maybe 4/5 at 3 hours, not level 8. That's
what's really key, is how much time does it take to get these extra
split levels and whether or not it's worth the time investment.

Knight37

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>You don't spend experience points to go up in levels, you use whatever
>skill you want to use and it goes up through use. Killing things is
>what gives you the skill ups.

Yeah I know. But my impression from the demo is that that X units of
killing will push you up from 10->11, but the same X units will push
you up from 1->10.

>I'm thinking that a character who spends 3 hours of play time ends up
>around level 8, but if you're spliting your classes then I bet you end
>up with about level 4/4 or maybe 4/5 at 3 hours, not level 8.

Why the bet in that direction? My feeling from the demo was that the
three hours would end up with 8 vs 7/6. I know that when I switched my
nature mage to ranged, just to get the survival skill, he got there
very quickly -- an exponential levelling is one of the things that
cause such quickness.

--
Lu

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:12:35 +0800, "Choykw"
<Newsreader@Newsgroup.com> wrote:

>Well, yes, knowing there is a treasure chest containing good loot that I
>couldn't open, that thought alone could dampen my sense of perfect
>completion...

Well personally I could care less if I find some useless bow that my
solo fighter can't use. Its just more coin. And there is plenty of
that already. Missing those sanctuary doors just doesn't matter when
soloing.