Duplex printing on HP Laserjet 8xxx series with HP 24782A ..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Im struggling to get answers from HP (web & 800#) for some more
information
about duplex printing on our Laserjet 8500 (Windows)

I found a product: HP24782A Auto Duplex Unit for HP Laserjet
8100,8500,8000

I need to print a double sided invoice, but I'm trying to find out the
following:

1. how do you turn off the DUPLEX mode (physical switch, control
panel, print menu ??) for when you want to print single sided papers
???

2. what other peripherals, software, drivers, etc do we need

Anyone using this with some trials and tribulations would be
appreciated also

Thanks

George Lewycky
NY City Transit
Brooklyn NYC
gelewyc@nyct.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

George,

The LJ8000-series printer driver should have all the options you need. The
driver uses bi-directional communication across the network and thus it is able
to interrogate the printer to find out which options are installed... Ben Myers

On 14 Apr 2004 14:18:41 -0700, gelewyc@nyct.com (george lewycky) wrote:

>Im struggling to get answers from HP (web & 800#) for some more
>information
>about duplex printing on our Laserjet 8500 (Windows)
>
>I found a product: HP24782A Auto Duplex Unit for HP Laserjet
>8100,8500,8000
>
>I need to print a double sided invoice, but I'm trying to find out the
>following:
>
>1. how do you turn off the DUPLEX mode (physical switch, control
>panel, print menu ??) for when you want to print single sided papers
>???
>
>2. what other peripherals, software, drivers, etc do we need
>
>Anyone using this with some trials and tribulations would be
>appreciated also
>
>Thanks
>
>George Lewycky
>NY City Transit
>Brooklyn NYC
>gelewyc@nyct.com

<< Im struggling to get answers from HP (web & 800#) for some more
information
about duplex printing on our Laserjet 8500 (Windows) >>

George-

I'm going through the same exercise with my LJ 4600. If anyone knows the
answer for sure, they aren't talking!

Our 8150 at work is black & white only. Isn't your 8500 a color printer? The
two families may be physically incompatible. If the HP24782A would work in the
8500, there has to be a place to put it. The same set-up booklet comes with
both duplex and non-duplex versions of the printer. It should show how to
install a duplexer if it had been ordered with the printer, and may give the
duplexer's HP catalog number. If you no longer have that booklet, it is
probably downloadable from HP.

In the case of my LJ 4600, there is no such accessory or option listed, even
though both duplex and non-duplex models are sold. The setup booklet said
nothing about installing a duplexer. As far as I can tell, the only difference
between the duplex and non-duplex is a "Formatter PCB" that costs almost $1000.
All mechanical components are identical, according to the repairman at work.
It might be worth spending that much for duplex capability, but with my luck,
it still wouldn't work!

As far as turning off the duplex mode, it defaults to off. On some printers,
there is a control panel option to make it always print duplex, but normally
you select duplex in your print dialog. When installing the printer driver,
you must tell it that the duplex unit is present, or the duplex choice may not
appear in the print dialog.

Fred

Some of the HP printers when connected via JetDirect can also communicate back
to the printer driver if any optional feature like a duplexer is present... Ben
Myers