Duplicate Programs in New Folder & Hard Drive

Recently deleted Temporary Internet Files/Cookies with disk cleaner, and
something went very, very wrong! Don't know what happened to deleted stuff,
but in looking around for them, I discovered a New Folder under My Documents
that contains all the Programs, Shortcuts, .dat files, etc. Checked C:
drive and everything is also still listed there. Having some trouble with a
few programs not loading completely. Please help an Old Lady who has run
head-on into new technology.
I'm using Windows XP Professional on my husband's old HP Pavilion ze5300
laptop.
--
I appreciate any help. Thank you. Viv

Hello Viv...well if a FOLDER is generateing a SECOND Copy it will Label
itself..if it remains in the same WINDOW..or COPIES of FILES with-in the same
FOLDER will Label Themselves if they Remain in the same FOLDER..but..if you
are finding a FOLDER of FILES in a differant Location..then..when you
Un-Install the software it should ask you if you want to KEEP those FILES..or
that software should have an OPTION to NOT create the FOLDER..or you made
need a Task manager to DELETE the FOLDER(haven't progessed in that direction
myself)..But an Un-Install should ask for your Permission to DELETE Folders.

"Viv" wrote:

> Recently deleted Temporary Internet Files/Cookies with disk cleaner, and
> something went very, very wrong! Don't know what happened to deleted stuff,
> but in looking around for them, I discovered a New Folder under My Documents
> that contains all the Programs, Shortcuts, .dat files, etc. Checked C:
> drive and everything is also still listed there. Having some trouble with a
> few programs not loading completely. Please help an Old Lady who has run
> head-on into new technology.
> I'm using Windows XP Professional on my husband's old HP Pavilion ze5300
> laptop.
> --
> I appreciate any help. Thank you. Viv

Actually, the programs are being held in a folder named Users Folder which is
listed under My Documents. Unfortunately, I have 3 My Documents listed in
the C: drive. The first one is shown just under Desktop, but above the C:
drive. There are 2 more My Documents locations shown at the same level as
the C: drive.
I did try to take a quick look at some of the info in this Users Folder, but
my computer said that a couple of files are required to run Windows & it
might be dangerous to my system if I even tried to open them. Well, I
backed off that stuff really fast!
Would it be possible to try to move all the files back into the C: drive
someplace? Would it be better to try a Systems Restore?
I had an old Compaq a few years ago, and I goofed it up so bad that I had to
do a Full Restore. I really don't like that option, but I guess I could try
it.
I'm sorry if my answer may not be making a lot of sense, but I'm a truly
technology-challenged individual.

--

"smframe" wrote:

> Hello Viv...well if a FOLDER is generateing a SECOND Copy it will Label
> itself..if it remains in the same WINDOW..or COPIES of FILES with-in the same
> FOLDER will Label Themselves if they Remain in the same FOLDER..but..if you
> are finding a FOLDER of FILES in a differant Location..then..when you
> Un-Install the software it should ask you if you want to KEEP those FILES..or
> that software should have an OPTION to NOT create the FOLDER..or you made
> need a Task manager to DELETE the FOLDER(haven't progessed in that direction
> myself)..But an Un-Install should ask for your Permission to DELETE Folders.
>
> "Viv" wrote:
>
> > Recently deleted Temporary Internet Files/Cookies with disk cleaner, and
> > something went very, very wrong! Don't know what happened to deleted stuff,
> > but in looking around for them, I discovered a New Folder under My Documents
> > that contains all the Programs, Shortcuts, .dat files, etc. Checked C:
> > drive and everything is also still listed there. Having some trouble with a
> > few programs not loading completely. Please help an Old Lady who has run
> > head-on into new technology.
> > I'm using Windows XP Professional on my husband's old HP Pavilion ze5300
> > laptop.
> > --
> > I appreciate any help. Thank you. Viv

Hello again Viv....OK..its seems you thought to Re-Create a FOLDER that
XP-uses-Called MY DOC.////You Placed that Folder in some other Location but
maintained the simple Idea that MY DOC. is the major Folder to
use(respective)to just useing the PC..I would suggest you RENAME the Folders
that are NOT the original MY DOC.Folder////example:::MY DOC-#1....MY
DOC.-Viv.....my FOLDERS are DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS...then OWNER and
USER'S....the PC will Label what is an Owners-files....and Shared Folders get
catagorized also....But you seems to be saying that a Clean-Disk Program is
SAVEING the CLEANING Process in a Folder...labeled....MY DOC...a duplicate of
a FOLDER you use for something else...I'm a NEW PC-user also....so we don't
want to "botch" each other up....also..I seldom or never use
RESTORE...RESTORE is a process to complete some Project on your PC that has
somehow gone wrong(corrupted)....that RESTORE offers a quicker completion
rather than committing to a Re-Install of Programs or the OS...but RESTORE is
NOT a CURE for a Corrupted PC-operation...you will still need to complete a
Re-Install of components.((hope this helps)).its best to NEVER ERROR.

"Viv" wrote:

> Actually, the programs are being held in a folder named Users Folder which is
> listed under My Documents. Unfortunately, I have 3 My Documents listed in
> the C: drive. The first one is shown just under Desktop, but above the C:
> drive. There are 2 more My Documents locations shown at the same level as
> the C: drive.
> I did try to take a quick look at some of the info in this Users Folder, but
> my computer said that a couple of files are required to run Windows & it
> might be dangerous to my system if I even tried to open them. Well, I
> backed off that stuff really fast!
> Would it be possible to try to move all the files back into the C: drive
> someplace? Would it be better to try a Systems Restore?
> I had an old Compaq a few years ago, and I goofed it up so bad that I had to
> do a Full Restore. I really don't like that option, but I guess I could try
> it.
> I'm sorry if my answer may not be making a lot of sense, but I'm a truly
> technology-challenged individual.
>
> --
> I appreciate any help. Thank you. Viv
>

> "smframe" wrote:
>
> > Hello Viv...well if a FOLDER is generateing a SECOND Copy it will Label
> > itself..if it remains in the same WINDOW..or COPIES of FILES with-in the same
> > FOLDER will Label Themselves if they Remain in the same FOLDER..but..if you
> > are finding a FOLDER of FILES in a differant Location..then..when you
> > Un-Install the software it should ask you if you want to KEEP those FILES..or
> > that software should have an OPTION to NOT create the FOLDER..or you made
> > need a Task manager to DELETE the FOLDER(haven't progessed in that direction
> > myself)..But an Un-Install should ask for your Permission to DELETE Folders.
> >
> > "Viv" wrote:
> >
> > > Recently deleted Temporary Internet Files/Cookies with disk cleaner, and
> > > something went very, very wrong! Don't know what happened to deleted stuff,
> > > but in looking around for them, I discovered a New Folder under My Documents
> > > that contains all the Programs, Shortcuts, .dat files, etc. Checked C:
> > > drive and everything is also still listed there. Having some trouble with a
> > > few programs not loading completely. Please help an Old Lady who has run
> > > head-on into new technology.
> > > I'm using Windows XP Professional on my husband's old HP Pavilion ze5300
> > > laptop.
> > > --
> > > I appreciate any help. Thank you. Viv

Good to hear from you, smframe. It took me a little while, but I finally
understand what you're telling me. I thought I had a terrible, huge
problem, but your assistance and explanations have me on the right track now.
Just need to not panic and use my head a little bit. Thanks again!