Question During initial setup, is it worth having any of the privacy settings off?

SonJustin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
I’m sitting here on the ‘Choose privacy settings for your device’. Back in the day I’d leave everything on default, but going forward I want to be more secure (getting a VPN and using a password manager after). Any settings I definitely want to turn off? Like sending diagnostics? Or advertising?

Cj-tech

Proper
Jan 27, 2021
I’m sitting here on the ‘Choose privacy settings for your device’. Back in the day I’d leave everything on default, but going forward I want to be more secure (getting a VPN and using a password manager after). Any settings I definitely want to turn off? Like sending diagnostics? Or advertising?
I would most definitely turn off the Advertising ID. It allows companies to track you across multiple sites and programs to setup the advertisements they want you to see. I turn this option off on all my computers. Since it isn’t necessary, I also don’t send them diagnostics.

Reactions: SonJustin

Bob.B

Respectable
Feb 8, 2021
Reactions: SonJustin

SonJustin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
I would most definitely turn off the Advertising ID. It allows companies to track you across multiple sites and programs to setup the advertisements they want you to see. I turn this option off on all my computers. Since it isn’t necessary, I also don’t send them diagnostics.
Random question but if I had the Location setting disabled by default, why when I boot up does it already know the city I live in?

SonJustin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
We all run our machines different so what I need and you need will not be the same.

For my needs I have just about everything in the privacy settings turned off.
Like I have no desire to have personalized ads and stuff like that. I don't need my mic or webcam enabled by default.

The location thing might annoy me unless there are ways to see my location not involving the general setting?

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS