Dust in Case

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I have Antec SX1040BII case that is three year old. Within this case is A-bit KR7A mother board, AXP 2000+, 6 hard drive of 250 Gig = 1500 Gig, Teac DVD burner and Teac CD-r writer and 400 Watt PSU from Antec that is included with the case.

Antec case is nice, but bulit like a tank. There are four fans. Two intake and two exhaust. I have two computers and decided to use the other computer. When I went back to this computer, my power did not come on. Sometime I saw the Power light and HDD light went on, then the whole computer shut off. I tried to turn the main PSU switch off and on. After a few attempt the computer will boot. Sometime I unplugged the power line after no power from pressing the computer power button. This sometime helps the computer to boot.

Later I found out the main cause was due to dust. How can dust be the problem? My brother just brought a compressor that holds 26 gal and blow out 250 PSI. Blow the case and desert storm came out of the case. Plug the power line back in and everything is fine. Logical explanation: the dust must have collected and short out the system and the PSU shut itself to protect itself.

I recently purchase X-Alien case from Aspire and has the same body as my Antec case, but for less (only 45.00 dollars for me). It is a nice case. Just as the Antec case, I need to blow the ear wax out of the case once in a while.

It is important to keep your case clean!!! Or bad thing might happen.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
A friend of mine had the same problem. System wouldn't finish posting due to excessive dust/dog hair inside. I used a can and a half of compressed air on it and suddenly it was back to normal.

I am not sure exactly what the dust was doing, the system was failing too soon for it to be heat related (dust is a very good insulator).

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
It is a good idea to buy a case with filter. A can of compressed air every few months is good too. The best is an air gun with a lot of PSI. The air gun will even take out the dust on the fan and you don't even have to remove any component from the case.

<font color=red> Live long, Live to the fullest and be Bless </font color=red> :wink:
<font color=blue> ____________</font color=blue>
Aspire X-Alien / Antec SX1040B
P4 2.8B OC to 3.2 / AXP 1.67 OC to 1.9
Abit IC7 / Abit KR7A

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I heard that some air compressors send out enough oil/comtaminants with the air to cause concern.

A fine misting of oil is might be worse than a heavy coating of dust.

If you are using a product not designed for computer I would spray the air onto some surface as a test and see if it leaves any residue first.

RichPLS

Champion
I too have heard that air compressors are not a good idea for blowing out dust due to oil and water vapor in the tank, and the possibility of too much air pressure could blow off components on the board.
Better to play it safe and use cans of compressed air.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
The one we have is oilless and I would test the air out first for water if there is any. The one we used is safe. We already use on four different computers and all is fine.

My brother built computer at his job place and he use air nozzle on the time. I'm not sure of the type of air compressor at his work, but he never has any problem yet.

<font color=red> Live long, Live to the fullest and be Bless </font color=red> :wink:
<font color=blue> ____________</font color=blue>
Aspire X-Alien / Antec SX1040B
P4 2.8B OC to 3.2 / AXP 1.67 OC to 1.9
Abit IC7 / Abit KR7A